Thread: General Workflow Question

General Workflow Question

I am just about to send in my first batch of LF film in 25 years into Praus Productions and I am hoping to get some hints about workflow. Do color people get a cheap scan done (or scan it themselves) first to assess whether they want to get a better scan done (or get it color printed)? In other words, what is the equivalent of a contact sheet for LF color photography? What is the most cost effective way to know if you have an image that is worth doing more with?
    Thanks in advance,

Toronto, Ontario,

Re: General Workflow Question

hI David

Absolutely a cheap scan on a flatbed scanner ( you could do this yourself) would be the way to go, for every thousand images there may be a limited few worth putting expensive scans into.
    We use a few different scanners for this... Fuji Frontier 2500 for roll film, Eversmart Supreme for contact sheets, and sometimes low low rez Imocan scans .

Coquitlam, BC, Canada, eh!

If it's just to get an idea of whether or not a good candidate for printing, you could just take a photo of the film with your phone (invert it if it's colour negative). I do this a lot with my 8x10 B/W negatives... yes, I know it's not colour...

Between the mountains and the sea, somewhere in the Antipodes

David Hello,
    A light box and a good quality loupe is an excellent starting point for transparencies (are you shooting transparency or neg?) . As Bob has mentioned, scanning with a cheap flatbed will also give you pretty good overall idea of whether an image is worthy of consideration for a drumscan etc.

I just do a scan on my epson v700 and don't worry about newton rings on 8x10 for a quick scan. 4x5 scans well enough on the epson that it's the finished product for my uses after cleanup and color adjustment in PS.

North Dakota

If it is color negative film why not just get a contact print of it?