Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need quick answer about visiting a US Navy Base

Need quick answer about visiting a US Navy Base

Right now, I am planning a tour to west states of the US. This is the tour, I am planning for last 3 years, but can't peruse due to my tedious job. I am kicked out of the job, so I had decided to hit the road. My destinations will include California, Nevada, Oregon, Idaho, Washington states. Cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, San Jose, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Las Vegas, Reno, Phoenix, Tucson, Tempe, Portland, Eugene, Seattle, Spokane, Boise, Idaho Falls. I am living in Hamilton Canada. My grandparents were migrated from Jacksonville, Florida. And I am originally from Wolfsburg, Germany. We were thinking about this tour on bicycles but it is more than 7000 km. So, we decided to travel either using a train or local buses (from cities to cities) and plane for the state to state travel.

This is 17 days tour, I have booked following hotels:-

1. Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles
    2. DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento
    3. Paramount Hotel
    4. Warwick Seattle
    5. Some others

Please include your suggestions in the replies and also suggest, if other hotels are better or have better facilities at cheaper rates.

At last, here is my main question. As I am leaving on 23rd November I need some fast replies here. My grandfather was a Korean War survivor and participated in WWII as a battalion Commander. After the Korean war, he was stationed at Naval Amphibious Base Coronado. He has many sweet memories of that place, we can feel the sweetness from his fun and adventurous stories tone (which he told us during our childhood). At the time of his death, we made a pact to visit the base (this include me, my younger sister Jenni and our cousin. Also 1 grandson of my grandfather all time bestie). We really want to see the base from the inside, but we don't know how to get inside. We tried to contact the authorities using telephone and email. But they are re-directing us in confusing circles. If you have visited http://militarybases.co/directory/na...-san-diego-ca/ or any navy base in the past or your family/friends had or you are serving in the navy (and help us out) or if you are living near to that base, we will be thankful, if you could guide us. If there is a permission procedure, please guide us with that too. Also, is any type of recording material allowed inside the base?

Re: Need quick answer about visiting a US Navy Base

First of all, if you are planning a trip with multiple hotels you should choose one hotel company and register to become a member of that hotel group so you get points for your stays that will result in receiving freebies like free nights, meals, room upgrades, etc. that will be cheaper in the long run then staying at multiple brands of hotels.
    Then call the base directly and tell them that you would like to visit and why. They will tell you if it is possible and what you need to do and what you must bring with you and what you can't bring with you on the base.

Unless you meet someone who is active duty, it will be hard to get on a base to just take a tour. I see you're asking for a current Navy serviceman, that's a good choice. If you can't find someone, there are sometimes other public relations events.

You just missed Fleet Week, a big open base activity. https://www.fleetweeksandiego.org/ev...vy-open-house/

Try calling public affairs http://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnr...rs_office.html

I expect that they will be too security conscious to allow access because of security and liability issues, unless they are set-up for a public viewing event day...

My brother who is a tugboat captain told me of a base where even cameraphones were banned because of the image forming thing inside... Employees scrambled to find the last of the remaining flip-fones that didn't have a camera function that were permitted on base...

I think the contact is the press officer on base... You will probably have better luck locating the vessels that have been converted into floating museums by private or public organizations...

Good Luck, and report back...

Steve K

multiplex

often times using a camera isn't allowed on military installations. i've documented
    structures at a few navy hards navy bases and having cameras meant
    having the serial #s of everything recorded, a "pass" and the film being processed
    and "okay'd" before it left the installation.
    i'd call public affairs directly and see what they have to say. also call the congressman/woman from that district and ask him or her
    for some advice. maybe it can be an arranged pr event for the congressman/woman and they will allow cameras and give a tour.

I don't think you'll have time to get the authorization needed to get on. Requests to get onto a base need to be submitted to the base security manager at least 30 days prior to the intended visit date and for a specific event or intended location. Even after that, a sponsor of some type would need to walk with you to the spot you're authorized to see and back immediately to the gate again. You cannot take images of sensitive locations (so mostly everything) and really the only place one can take an image is in base housing or if you have authorization via the Public Affairs Officer to take an image. If you have a friend stationed at the San Diego base, they can sponsor you on. Aside from following the proper authorization process or a sponsor, the best you'll be able to see is the base from outside the fence.

R/
    Dave

If there is a museum open to the public you might be able to get to see it. But otherwise you usually just can't show up. I once had an appointment with some people at Hanford after it was closing down and cleaning up. I was driven to the base by my sales rep in WA state. Once we reached the entrance, even though I had an appointment on the base and had been pre-cleared in advance by security I still had to present my passport and driver's license, at the gate. I was cleared in with no problem, but when my rep presented his Canadian Passport (he has dual citizenship) they would not let him past the gate. He had to drive around for 4 hours until my meeting was over.
    Some US bases, like Elgin in Fl, are also the regional airport and entry to the terminal area is no problem for anyone. But getting onto the base, itself, is much more difficult.

if you are looking for reasonably priced stays in Santa Barbara - good luck, although Late Nov might be okay

but try Carpinteria instead..it's close and cheaper

Don't even consider photography. Otherwise you'll probably get a free tour of the brig.

Security at military facilities is very high. Anything with data storage capacity will get you thrown out. That means cell phones or other mobile devices such as pads. Also means any type of digital camera. It's not just images they're concerned about. Enjoy the trip, live for the moment, reminisce about your grandfather.

Back in 1983 I was on a beach in Pensacola, Florida right next to the Naval base. They had a sign posted that no professional photography was allowed. There were a whole bunch of people with cameras snapping away so I took out my first 35mm camera a Canon AV-1. I was immediately approached by an armed guard who asked me if I hadn't read the sign. I told him that I was just an amateur. He told me that I didn't handle a camera like an amateur. I ended up putting the camera back into the car.

Like I said, that was back in 1983 and I wasn't even on the base. With all the increased security today you better call the base and ask questions before you go. Also if you are allowed to shoot pictures you may want to look like you don't know what you are doing.