Thread: New Scanner Options

New Scanner Options

I am looking for a particular type of scanner that can give me good quality scans , I have a couple of scanners here, Imocan and Eversmart Supreme.

One of my needs is for oversize prints I make that do not fit in one bite on the Supreme, I am not wanting to stitch, so is there something of decent quality
    that I could look at, the files would be for presenting work in high quality jpeg, for presentations, website, and such

The second need is a scanner that I can use for small physical art like old photographs where I want a very good quality file to make future prints.
    Or my own negatives that I want to make up to 20 x24 alternative prints.

I do know the Supreme does this but lets say it leaves my shop and not available what could replace it??

I know there are a lot of you using different scanners so I would like to here some of your thoughts.

Bob

Re: New Scanner Options

Bob, have you considered a large copy stand with a high-resolution digital camera? Another option would be a copy stand with a Better Light scanning back in a 4x5 camera, but I'm not sure of the status of those products. Copy stands with polarized lights and a polarizing filter on the lens produce excellent results.

For the physical art take a look at Cruse scanners. My wife uses one and it can handle pretty large originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    Bob, have you considered a large copy stand with a high-resolution digital camera? Another option would be a copy stand with a Better Light scanning back in a 4x5 camera, but I'm not sure of the status of those products. Copy stands with polarized lights and a polarizing filter on the lens produce excellent results.
    This is an option , except I do not own a digital camera and I have thought about setting up some kind of copy stand setup that is in a vertical position, maybe a dual purpose second flash for printing and copy stand , I just think I would have to spend some time finding the right camera for me. I do know that many labs used the Better Light Scan back and that may be of huge value to me if I can set it up with a 4 x5 copy setup.

This is at this moment a preferred route.

Bob,
    Is there a local art reproduction shop/individual who specializes in this sort of thing? I ask because if you can use them as a "subcontractor", you won't have to invest in more gear, and they stay in business as well.

Just thinking out loud

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Bob,
    Is there a local art reproduction shop/individual who specializes in this sort of thing? I ask because if you can use them as a "subcontractor", you won't have to invest in more gear, and they stay in business as well.

Just thinking out loud
    As a complete control freak on my process I do not think this would work for me.

Used Betterlight scan backs come up for sale from time to time. I know of one here in Victoria. I can pass on contact information if you want.
    On the BL forum we talk about lighting for capturing large film.