Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wista, Sinar or Cambo 4x5.

Re: Wista, Sinar or Cambo 4x5.

If you are looking at going down the metal monorail path you might want to consider Arca Swiss too. They are reasonable both from a weight and compactness perspective.

Drew Wiley

I've stayed with the Sinar system all these years due to the abundance of readily-available components and easy reconfiguration for extreme versatility. The F cameras as well as the P and X version have asymmetrical tilts; but for many applications that feature is largely irrelevant anyway. I wouldn't buy an F1 because
    the F2 has as far superior front standard which is also a lot more durable. But my favorite Sinar of all is the Norma series, which predates the asymmetrical patents, but is more solid than the F series without the weight of the P. Better bellows than either, if you're lucky enough to find a camera that old with the original
    tapered bellows still in pristine shape.

New bellows for a 45A are about $100 and you can install them yourself.

The Sinar F's are an excellent choice as well.

For hiking I would get an Arca Swiss Discovery (with Linhof Technika adapter) if you can find one.

I regret having sold mine it X years ago.

I have both a Sinar hybrid (F rear, Norma front) and a Wista SP. I've owned a traditional Cambo 6x9 camera, which was very much like it's 4x5 big brother.

Based on your input, I lean towards recommending the Wista SP. While I have a rail camera for all it's capability, the Wista SP will be excellent for back packing and landscape.

It's a little lighter, and definitely more compact than either a Sinar or Cambo. I purchased the Wista and two lenses with the intention of turning them over. But after seeing the build quality and functionality of the Wista SP, it's a keeper. Plus, in case there's a need, it's capable of interchangeable bellows that include a bag bellows and two bellows that are longer than the standard, 300m bellows.

To continue a bit, the Wista SP is quite a versatile camera.

But, it need not be one's only camera. A Sinar (F, F2, P?) rail camera can be very useful for many applications. (e.g. Architecture.) Depending on the model, Sinar's prices aren't so high that one couldn't consider having a second camera.

As for lensboards, the Wista SP takes Technika boards, and it's easy to find a Technika adapter board for a Sinar or many other cameras.

I'd get a Sinar F2. It's a great camera and hard to beat at today's prices!

At the moment it stands between the Sinar F1/2, the Cambo SC II and the Toyo 45A fieldcamera. The Sinar seems very intriguing, as I could buy an 8x10 conversion kit for it as well. I want to get back into 8x10 eventually. We shall see.

Dave Karp

I used to use a Cambo SC for all purposes. It was a workhorse. I used it on the short 12" rail and a bag bellows for everything up to a 210mm. I switched to the long rail above 210mm. Eventually, I upgraded to a Cambo 45 SF. I actually liked that camera a lot.

Gear lust overtook me eventually, and I sold the 45 SF when I purchased an ARCA Swiss Discovery with the telescoping rail. Ken is right, it is a very nice camera, especially with the telescoping rail and the Technika board adapter. Even so, I still prefer to backpack with a folding camera. Mine is a Walker Titan 45SF. I really like it too. I think Neil's comment is pertinent also. You can use a monorail in the field, which I still do from time to time, but a camera purpose built for field work is sometimes preferable.

Do not forget the Linhof Color, basically a Technika IV on a monorail, quick to set up, rock solid, very ugly..(who cares..;-).). Great deals can be found on this camera if you are patient, they do not show up that often. Oh it fits nicely in a medium sized backpack.

Good luck,

Cor