Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to buy 8x10 set-up used: is this possible for less than $1000

Want to buy 8x10 set-up used: is this possible for less than $1000

I've just gotten the notion to get into LF--I want to do contact prints and some alternative process stuff. I want to 8x10. I've been counseled against this-- too heavy, too expensive, etc. I'm mostly interested in shooting landscape shots . Any ideas on how to put a used system together for under $1000? Is it possib le? Suggested reliable cameras. I've been checking some on Ebay, but would wel come any advice. Thanks.

For used equipment, I'd try to find a used beatup Deardorff outfit. I've seen some on eBay for around $1000. These cameras and lenses are not in great shape, but they're capable of taking great photographs. And it's a good investment - you can have it restored.

As for new equipment, the Tachihara 8x10 sells for about $1200. This is the same camera as the Wista. It does not have a lot of extension, but it is a good camera to start out with, given its cost.

Last year a used one (in mint condition with very pretty pictures) sold for $1300 on eBay. I kind of laughed at that. Jokes aside, the fact that you can turn around and sell the camera for nearly what you paid for it is something to consider. If you don't like the format, you can simply sell the camera.

Another option is the Kodak 2D, I got one for $600 with new bellows. Midwest had a metal 8x10 (maybe a Calumet C-1) for about $400 -- good cameras from what I read, but insanely heavy. Holders should be able to be found for about $10 each used. I assume you have a light meter. The lens is what is going to kill you, but if you don't mind barrel lenses (no shutter) you can get some good ones for cheap.

If you hate it you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it. Also, be sure to shop around, eBay has not been much of a bargain haven -- used items can often cost more than what I could buy the equivalent item for new.

-Jen

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Sure you can do it with a little care -- I've done it myself. Check with Midwest Camera Exchange or Quality Camera -- they usually have several. Lightweight old wood cameras are often suitable for landscape work -- Folmer & Schwing, Korona, Agfa/Ansco, Eastman Commercial, Kodak 2D, Seneca Competitor View -- and these are often available for $200-600 on E-Bay, sometimes with lenses and even tripods included. Will take some time and some scouting, but you can do it.

Let's not forget the Burke and James! I got an old "grover" for 300.00 and I have a love/hate relationship with it but I really didn't want to spend allot and didn't want to get all hung up on technical stuff either. I just look at it as a mere tool to help get me to the final result. Would I like a nicer camera.?yes I would. Do I need another camera......? No I don't I have produced some wonderful images with it. I just picked up a 158mm Wollensak off ebay for 255.00 mounted in an Alphax shutter. Edward Weston was always complaining about wanting a new camera as his was always falling apart. A Soligor spot meter will work fine and one of those is about 150.00 used. So if you are careful and have patience you could do it easy for under 1,000.00. Best of luck to you in your venture!

Shen Hao was also making 8x10 in addition to 4x5. I don't know if they still are. Badger Graphic sells the 4x5. You might contact them and see if they could get an 8x10 and what it would run.

DW

I just got started in LF for well under 1000.00 I bought a used Calumet C-1 with a Schneider Symmar S lens from e-bay. Everything worked great. Just keep looking.

There are plenty of older 8x10 cameras out there. Mine is a Seneca Improved (almost identical to the Kodak 2D mentioned earlier), and i'ts fairly light too. Get a good older lens for it. My cost was $100 for the camera and $250 for a Commercial Ektar in an Acme #4 shutter. A few more dollars for a new groundglass and some used holders and I was in business. Deardoffs are great, but unfortunately, owners don't like to give them up.

There is a good supply of Agfa/Ansco 8x10's out there. You should be able to find one in excellant condition for under $600. Try some of the better LF dealers or check out ebay. I got into 8x10 this way and still use the Ansco. The camera is fairly rigid and enough movements for field photography. Morley Baer used an Ansco.

I bought a Calumet C-1 (8X10) last week on eBay, which I intended to use as a source for spare parts for the one I've been using for ten years, made out like a bandit at a cost of 400 bucks. The new one has parts that are in much better shape than the one I currently use, so I'll swap some components (entire front standard assembly). The Calumet C-1 is all metal, sturdy, and well worth the small cost. They frequently make an appearance on eBay. The most important thing to remember is the same for all used equipment... condition, condition, condition. There are several post on the archived section of this forum that might assist you, check there as well.