Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Wondering why I still shoot film

Re: Wondering why I still shoot film

Tobias I'm with you.

I shoot film because I like film cameras, I like physical objects as data storage and as prints. I like being able reprint old (40 years) negatives if I learn more, I used to be a chemist and like chemicals in moderation, film equipment need not cost too much nor does it depreciate like digital, I like being able to build and restore LF cameras. I like alt process prints. I've made them via digital negatives too. Simplicity, maybe? I'm tickled to have equipment where I kind of understand how it works, can make it myself, I coat my own cyanotype paper and figure tonslmeday coat my own films. Maybe even combine loose lenses into "primitive" lenses like a rapid rectilinear some day. So, maybe also total control of her process. And, I mostly enjoy the crowd a big old camera draws. I do use digital for things like people, and documentation, but less for fun. I will probably pull it out again to learn off camera flash. I saw a book of photos made with TriX, xtol, &Leica gear and was surprised because I liked the photos and some were enlarged pretty big and I've never liked my own TriX work 35mm so much.

Everyone else has covered my reasons and some more.

Bottom line, 1) do you LIKE shooting film? Or 2) do you have a business or artistic reason why film is better suited for some work you do?

If the answer to EITHER of those two questions is "yes" then shoot film!

Blah blah blah resolution lpm film format blah blah diffraction dpi blah dribble dribble.
    Sorry guys, all in good cheer! How many megapixels/lpm do you really need for 99% of your printing? I rarely print large enough to justify using anything over medium format (digital or film). All the resolution talk is totally irrelevant to me.

When I shoot digital, I can see immediately what I've done and do it again if I feel the need to. I can process 100 files into 10 acceptable images within two hours or so. Image quality from my EOS 7D with non-L lenses is plenty good enough for me.
    When I shoot film, I focus on what happens around me instead of my camera screen, I have a blast when I'm making images, I have a blast when I'm seeing them come out of the developer and I have a blast when I print or scan/process them. Enjoying every image at least 3 times and having pleasure in going through the motions of shooting and processing a tangible material.

I choose whatever yields the quality I need and, more importantly, allows me to have the fun I'm looking for in practicing my hobby. Comparison of the same handful of utterly boring scenes shot on whatever equipment over and over again for years and years fortunately has absolutely nothing to do with that choice.

I shoot film because staring at a computer screen is bad for your eyes (and for the soul)

Another reason, is that I like negatives I can revisit later. I did this a year or two ago with some I made in 1977 at age 9. I tried to print through the paper base and in 2015 I printed them emulsion to emulsion and was amazed at what I saw. I have several generations of computer files I can't access (and that's ok, I guess, because I don't really want anyone to read those old papers written in Jr. Hi, Hiskool, and college anyway...). I know you can revisit digital negatives (files) but it seems more ephemeral.

Hello all.
    Thanks brouwerkent for opening this thread.
    Several days ago, lost a full post due to bad internet. Actually two.
    Could not repeat that.
    My 2 cents, and I do not know if I have to apologies or not,
    but for those who do not like or agree with the contents of the table,
    please accept my apology.
    This is the way I decided more than a decade ago. It's simple and clear.
    Thanks.
    http://s.pictub.club/2017/01/19/swhlS8.jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	160108

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Thalmees View Post
    Hello all.
    Thanks brouwerkent for opening this thread.
    Several days ago, lost a full post due to bad internet. Actually two.
    Could not repeat that.
    My 2 cents, and I do not know if I have to apologies or not,
    but for those who do not like or agree with the contents of the table,
    please accept my apology.
    This is the way I decided more than a decade ago. It's simple and clear.
    Thanks.
    http://s.pictub.club/2017/01/19/swhlS8.jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	160108
    It's your opinion. You don't need to apologize. You are not trying to offend anyone. You are just stating how you feel.

I know where you are coming from though. Today, some people are offended by other's opinions. Of course those same people feel they have a right to their own opinions. It's crazy!
    Last edited by Alan Gales; 21-Jan-2017 at 20:37.

That list is congruent with much of my thinking/experience except cost. Film cameras aren't expensive and last a long time. I have one that's over 100 years old and works great. It cost $50 (and some time cleaning and repairing). Excepting may be bellows it should still be working in 100 more years. It's so much fun I bought another one for $20 and still only have another $20 in parts (brass hardware) in it. That's way under $1/year camera cost. Even if I put my Sinar P and all it's trimmings into the equation and figure I can only use it 25 years, I think I'm still well under $100/year. Fully home built cameras can be made out of scrap materials at no cost. Film: what's 100 sheets of Ilford 8x10 cost? $500? $600?? Can I use that much in a year? Probably not, this is a hobby. Test prints/proofs I do on cotton typing paper as cyanotypes for next to nothing and carbon transfer, if I ever get to it will be very inexpensive. The paper substrate will be the costly part.
    Compare this to a "prosumer" camera and lens set, modern computer, good monitor, calibration software and equipment, good printer (and ink and possibly custom ink set and driver) and how long does all that (several thousand dollars)last? 5 years (except lenses). I can't yet afford to do digital the way I'd want to. Not even hybrid work where I scan film. I have printed some inkjet negatives for making cyanotypes but it only works when the cartridges are fresh and they dry out between sessions. If I made my own film I bet I could drive the down the cost of film to nearly X-ray film prices. So, chemical photography is still the low cost way to permanent photographic images at least the way I want to do it. But, as they say in car advertisements: "your mileage may vary."

Well, most of that is superfluous. The average amateur or hobbyist doesn't need a calibration tool (heck I make most of my money these days from photography and I don't have one). Definitely don't need a printer, send it out to a lab (most will even color-correct things fairly well).

These days for $300-400 one can buy a very nice DSLR with 18-24mp which has phenomenal image quality rivaling medium format with decent technique, and everyone already owns a computer. A cheap simpler version of Photoshop and you're off to the races. Seriously, those kit lenses these days are crazy good, especially with stabilization.

You may of course want to do digital differently but I don't think you need all of that myself. I probably spend more money per year on film/chemistry than the cheap DSLR costs. Yes (most) film cameras are really cheap though.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome