Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Hassle

Foamer

Re: Street Hassle

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I have a couple orange safety cones, an orange reflective vest, and a clipboard. These make me look like I'm on some kind of official business and people ignore me like I'm not even there. The clipboard is important. If people ask questions, look at the clipboard and ask if they are authorized to ask them. They'll go away.

I call that "urban camoflauge!"

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ... Sorry if I drifted a tiny bit off topic. But to me anything involving a road in Yosemite during tourist season is essentially urban street photography. There certainly are enough people around.
    Ha, I was thinking of getting a theodolite.
    Everything should be tried once, except incest and folk dancing.

Drew Wiley

Maybe a plasma laser disguised as a theodolite, something more apocalyptic towards nuisance people.

It's funny how people from places like US think that because we don't have gun violence (at least it's very very minimal) in Nordic countries that we don't own guns or have right to own guns. How ever all nordic countries fit with in the top 20 countries with most licensed guns per capita. We simply don't carry them out on the streets nor do we shoot each other with them..

Quote Originally Posted by ValoPeikko View Post
    It's funny how people from places like US think that because we don't have gun violence (at least it's very very minimal) in Nordic countries that we don't own guns or have right to own guns. How ever all nordic countries fit with in the top 20 countries with most licensed guns per capita. We simply don't carry them out on the streets nor do we shoot each other with them..
    This was a comment about weapons in UK (didn't remember to add quote, new to this forum software).

A gentle reminder that, per our guidelines, debates on firearms policy are not appropriate for this Forum. Please let's stay on-photographic-topic.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by lharby View Post
    Hi

I am relatively new here.

TL/DR: I am interested in hearing if anyone has encountered horror stories when shooting LF and having people either be a nuisance or destructive.

My hope is that the stories are limited. It might be some paranoia on my part.

A few weeks ago I was out at night shooting MF. I was set up along a watercourse which has a cycle path running through. At one point I saw a cyclist approaching as I was nearing the end of a 2 minute exposure. I was on a footbridge and started moving the tripod. I am sure nothing would of happened although I would have been impeding his path had I stayed there.

I have much heavier gear for the MF so the movability of it would be an issue, but the cost of replacing or repairing equipment would be pretty heartbreaking.

I have had the odd bit of street hassle in the past, although never any equipment damaged (apart from my own misuse).

I hope this is the right place to post, I did search the forums and found an amusing thread about animals attacking us, but was interested in human interaction.

If you have some heartwarming stories, feel free to post those too!

i've had troubles but they weren't with LF cameras.

Just getting used to the Shen Hao in Edinburgh during the tourist season when a coach/mini-bus pulled up behind me and about 30 Japanese tourists poured out. One spoke to me - he had a baseball cap with "The Beatles" embroidered on the front - while the rest lined up and took pictures on their phones. Apart from 2 or 3 who hung back and didn't take pictures. I don't wonder about the ones that took photos but I do wonder why the others didn't!
    Mostly I find people are friendly and curious. They all want to see what's on the GG.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. - Yousuf Karsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I understand the UK does not let citizens own firearms. Didn't that policy start right after 1776?
    Hmm...only 15 posts until guns got mentioned; usually takes 25-30 posts.

Drew Wiley

Hmmm ... Other than being sensitive not to place a tripod or other bulky gear where it comprises an obstruction to pedestrians or cyclists, I do find people are less
    annoyed with a view camera than an SLR or phone pointed at them, invading their privacy.