Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newton rings on scanned 8x10" negatives

Re: Newton rings on scanned 8x10" negatives

Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
    I have considered but not yet tried wet mounting directly on the scanner bed... I worry about leaks and damaging the scanner. I might give it ago though. Alan9940, do you do any adjustments on the scanner to make sure its sealed... or anything similar... or do you just fill up the scanner bed with fluid... so to speak?
    Peter
    Peter,

Definitely DO NOT simply fill the scanner bed with fluid! You will have leaking into the scanner hardware under the glass. Since an 8x10 negative fills so much area of the bed glass, what I do is tape around the bed glass with drum mounting tape to ensure a tight seal along the edges. Then, I use only enough mounting fluid to cover the film area; practice will show you how much fluid, but it's less than you think. If you use Kami fluid, then there is no need to clean the negative after the scan; you simply remove it from the bed glass and whatever remaining fluid will evaporate very quickly.

So, to sum up the steps here is my procedure:

1. Clean negative as required. Generally, this requires only a wipe with an anti-static brush and a quick once-over with something like Dust Off. If necessary, I use PEC cleaning fluid but this is rare.

2. Dispense the correct amount of scanner fluid on to the bed glass (remember, you've got it all taped up, right?)

3. Lay negative down into the fluid. I bow it slightly and start at one end to help eliminate trapped air.

4. Dispense the correct amount of scanner fluid on to the negative.

5. Lay a sheet of Graphics Arts Film (crystal clear mylar) on to the negative using the same technique as with the negative.

6. Use a scanner wipe, swiping across the mylar, to remove air bells, ensure full coverage of fluid over the entire negative surface, and to remove excess fluid as it seeps out from under this "sandwich."

7. Scan away and enjoy no Newton Rings, minimized look of grain, and, typically, sharper scans.

I have always bought all my scanner supplies from aztek.com.

Have fun!

Brilliant! Thanks - I'm gonna give this a go :-)

Alan, forgive my ignorance - why do you have to apply the sheet of mylar? Why couldn't you forgo that step and just scan without it?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Alan, forgive my ignorance - why do you have to apply the sheet of mylar? Why couldn't you forgo that step and just scan without it?
    1) Seals in the scanning fluid that is between the negative and the scanning glass along the edges so that it doesn't start to evaporate during the scan causing the negative to pop off.
    2) Acts as a protective barrier while trying to push away air bubbles without marring the film.

Randy, the post above says it all.

I was never able to eliminate "bubbles" from the scanner fluid when wet mounting. They were worse than Newton Rings. Using the 4x5 holder worked, but it takes awhile to get the neg flat, so focusing was sometimes problematic. This is the source for the idea of simply taping the neg to the scanner glass. Which as I noted above, works for me.

http://www.kennethleegallery.com/htm...ning/index.php

The main reasons for getting bubbles are two-fold:
    1) Not using enough scanner fluid.
    2) Not smoothly bowing the film from one edge on the glass down gradually into the fluid.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by mitrajoon View Post
    I was never able to eliminate "bubbles" from the scanner fluid when wet mounting. They were worse than Newton Rings. Using the 4x5 holder worked, but it takes awhile to get the neg flat, so focusing was sometimes problematic. This is the source for the idea of simply taping the neg to the scanner glass. Which as I noted above, works for me.

http://www.kennethleegallery.com/htm...ning/index.php
    I had "bubble" issues, too, early on with wet mounting, but found that it was my technique of placing the negative down into the fluid that was causing trapped air. I got the idea for the technique I use now from watching a friend load a scanner drum. If you flex the negative, start at one end, and lay it down being careful not to rotate the film in relation to the glass you shouldn't get any significant "bubbles." What is there, if any, should be easily removed by light pressure on the mylar working from the center of the film to each edge.

Alan,

I just got loads off stuff to start wet scanning... how do you apply your drum tape at the top... where that calibration area is... or does this not matter since its transparent?

Cheers
    Peter

No, don't cover the calibration area! I don't use tape when wet-mounting film on a flatbed. If you use a piece of mylar 2 cm bigger than the film in every direction, it should stick to the glass just fine using the mounting fluid. That could be a problem if your film is super curly, but usually it isn't. Once you mount your film, scan. It's not a super time-sensitive situation, but don't leave the film wet-mounted for a long time. After scanning, remove the film and hang to dry.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know