Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dagor77

Dagor77

I want everyone to read my original post, It didn't say 30 days ago, it said last month. And another thing, I was polite in asking "Has anyone had a problem with eBay seller Dagor77?"
    It's a simple question, until Mr. Dagor77 got offended. You defended him with great ( ). He is busy and may have gone on a fishing trip....He may be going to the mountains....

I sent him an email and said "Did you ship the lens yet?" Yep C

In his ad:

He said:
    "This is a barrel lens, there is no shutter. For mounting information you may want to give this site a visit...www.skgrimes.com. Steve is no longer with us and will be more than just missed. The workshop that he started will be carrying on, the same web address is still valid, It has a lot of handy links and is a good source of information."

SK Grimes said:
    Thank you for the inquiry. I do not have any direct experience with this particular lens and would need to examine it in order to determine the appropriate shutter for remounting. Depending on the required shutter, a typical lens remounting ranges in price from 450.00 - 725.00 + s/h. This price includes the right engraved iris scale for your lens and mounting the finished lens and shutter to your lens board. There is an additional charge if a retaining/flange needs to be supplied. The work takes about four to six weeks here in the shop. Other additional items you might consider are a standard receiving filter adapter and custom made lens caps.

Would you pay 3/4 of a grand to mount a process lens in a shutter?

Thanks for sending the lens
    Curt

I ask all of you out there one question. Who, execpt the crazy, would mount a process lens of no probable value in a mounting of up to $725.00?

What do you think you could get in a new in a 209 +/-mm for that combined amount?

Sorry I have to cut this short but my plane is leaving for Africa, I'm dirt biking in the Himm's this weekend.
    Curt

Dagor77

Curt,

what are blathering about?

"Iask all of you out there one question. Who, execpt the crazy, would mount a process lens of no probable value in a mounting of up to $725.00? "

Is it of no value because it's a process lens or is it actually a worthless process lens? There are a number of process lenses out ther that are close to worth their weight in gold - especially if it's the one lens you need to do the job. For some lenses, there are plenty of folk who will fork over the cost of mounting in a shutter.

BTW - where did Andrew get offended?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Dagor77

You got a clean lens that covers 8x10 for $60? That gets the lucky dog award for the month.

No whining from you. Get a Packard shutter or use your hat.

Dagor77

It's obvious Curt has no experience in large format. I have one of those so called old process lenses.......(a blue dot trigor) And I had no problem forking out the bucks to put it in a copal 3. Grimms did a great job and Adam is a gem to deal with. They'll be prying this lens from my fingers when they close the casket. A 60$ lens?......quit crying and use your hat.

Dagor77

"Iask all of you out there one question. Who, execpt the crazy, would mount a process lens of no probable value in a mounting of up to $725.00? "

I did. I bought a 19" Red Dot Artar in a barrel from Dagor 77 and Steve Grimes mounted it for me in a Copal 3. It may be the best lens I own.

Check Lens & Repro's prices for large format lenses (many of them with significant marks on the glass) before you complain about Andrew. There is no better value to be had on Ebay or anywhere else for that matter.

You'll get little sympathy on this forum badmouthing Dagor 77.

To answer your original question, "Has anyone had a problem with an eBay seller called Dagor77?", I'll say "NO!"

Dagor77

I've had no problem with Andrew either, having bought a couple of lenses.

$725 to fabricate adapters (if not a direct fit into the shutter) and the price of a new Copal 3 (if that's what it is) is reasonable. The new Copal #3 alone is almost $500 from S. K. Grimes. I'd say complaints about the mounting price indicates the buyer didn't know what he was getting into, at least as far as shuttering a barrel lens in a new shutter.

Steve

Dagor77

There's a real good reason that barrel lenses are generally cheap compared to even the oldest and crappiest (but still working) shuttered version.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Dagor77

I'm very curious about the "dirtbiking in the Himm's" - Himalayas?? - in which case his geography makes about as much sense as you'd expect from someone who had a problem dealing with Dagor77....

Dagor77

Curt,

Frankly, you should have done your due diligence on the barrel lens prior to bidding on it. OBVIOUSLY, you didn't know what was involved in terms of the cost of mounting the lens... or the alternative methods of controlling exposures.

Yup, we'll "defend" Dagor77 mostly because people have had great experiences dealing with Andrew! He's an honorable guy!

Final analysis? Waste of bandwidth!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!