Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Photography Collective donation

Large Format Photography Collective donation

Greetings all,

The New England Large Format Photography Collective is looking for a donation of a working 4x5 or larger field camera to allow our college students leaving school to still pursue their passion of LF photography.

NELFPC is an active Collective membership of 20+ who recently created a member funded intern status for graduating college students who have lost the use of their schools equipment. These students attended our recent Jay Dusard weekend ( see attached picture, interns seated front row right side ) and are as passionate about LF photography as ever but have now lost the use of a camera. NELFPC is seeking a donation of a working field camera and or lenses. We have pursued actual camera manufacturers without success.

Please pm me or offer an email address if there is interest in our request.

If this request has been posted in the wrong category please redirect appropriately.

regards, Steve Sherman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dusard_Wkend.jpg  

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Re: Large Format Photography Collective donation

No offense intended, but everything on the website for the group you reference is at least 3 to 5 years old. Nothing references the "Jay Dusard Weekend." I'm sorry, but before I contribute or ask others to contribute, I'd want a little more to go one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Donald View Post
    No offense intended, but everything on the website for the group you reference is at least 3 to 5 years old. Nothing references the "Jay Dusard Weekend." I'm sorry, but before I contribute or ask others to contribute, I'd want a little more to go one.
    Greetings Jeff,

I completely understand your trepidation, you can reference this video from a workshop that NELFPC sponsored in 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2INzTVSAzI Most events take place in my darkroom and all the talent who have participated over the years have traveled to Connecticut and are frequent contributors on this form including Sandy King, X 2, Kirk Gittings, Bob Carnie X 2, Bill Schwab, Michael A. Smith, JB and Susan Harlin, Paul Paletti, Joe Freeman and Jay Dusard have all presented weekend programs to our Collective. Not only will they attest to my credibility but also to the New England Large Format Photography Collective itself. Through our imagery donations to a local Cancer Hospital we have raised over $50 K, all given to the Cancer Center, each of the above named individuals have attended those one night fund raising Exhibitions.

If you are seriously considering a donation I can have each of the graduating seniors write an affirmation letter detailing their involvement with NELFPC and aspirations going forward.

Thanks for your interest, Steve Sherman

Forgive please, but is there a way my donation to your cause can become a deduction from my taxes?

Are you registered to that?

I have a ton of 'stuff' and a killer tax load.

jac

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Forgive please, but is there a way my donation to your cause can become a deduction from my taxes?

Are you registered to that?

I have a ton of 'stuff' and a killer tax load.

jac
    Thank you for your response, we are not a registered 501c if that is what you are asking. The Collective is meeting next Sunday, I will pose that question but personally don't see a way to facilitate a tax write off. Thx for reaching out, SS

Steve, you might discuss the following with your accountant...
    I've heard of situations where this was within reason:

Perhaps you can find a friendly intermediary organization that has 501(c)3 status and have the donation be given to them.
    That organization can, in turn, donate or "sell" the material to your organization. The donor can legitimately take a tax deduction.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

How about a Kodak Masterview 4x5? It's a monorail, but it's fairly light. I doubt I'll ever use it.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Another approach is a number of us contribute to buy a camera. I've donated enlarger lenses to 2 or 3 US community darkrooms in the past.

Ian

It only costs about $500 USD (attorney's fees) to become a 501(c)3 and be able to offer tax deductions to those with eligible deductions. This is only about 1% of the total you've raised for the cancer center. A small fund raiser could probably easily accomplish that. However, the money raised could probably pay for the cost of a 4x5 camera as well.

I have a Horseman monorail in storage that was donated to my organization that I could probably donate, if you're interested. I would just need to get approval of several board members.

I don't have a field camera but I have my 4x5 Master View that I picked up as a backup and I'd be willing to donate if you'd find it helpful. Not pretty but everything works as it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk