Thread: Benro Tripods

Benro Tripods

Anyone have any experience with the BENRO iFoto IF28+ tripods or Benro in general? Any comments welcome. They are rated to take 14 kgs so I'm looking at this for a large format camera. Cheers Michael

Re: Benro Tripods

I've been using a Benro flat design carbon tripod for six months now, I'm very happy with it.stable, easy to set up, and light. An inprovement on my Manfrotto 3 Kg tripod.
    Flat design works great.

You might look at the Induro line, also. Very similar to the Benro, but a little better quality IMHO, as I've owned both.

Mine is a carbon fiber CT414 which will support over 50 lbs or more- forgot the exact specs, but very solid. Good enough for a 5x7 view camera with no problem. However the tripod w/o head is about 5lbs+, so it's on the heavier side.

Otherwise, you could go up to a higher end Gitzo or Manfrotto.

Would not recommend a ball head with view camera.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Benro is the factory name. Induro is one of the names that Benro tripods are sold under. MePhoto is another of their names.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Finder View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the BENRO iFoto IF28+ tripods or Benro in general? Any comments welcome. They are rated to take 14 kgs so I'm looking at this for a large format camera. Cheers Michael
    "large format camera" I think is the key phrase here. For FX and 6x6 Benros are very good, Gitzos are excellent. For 4x5 and larger, Older wooden Miller (I believe they were mostly marketed for movie cameras) or Ries are my preferred choices. When weight not a problem - Linhof Heavy Duty tripod is as solid as they come but it weighs a lot. Also I shoot a lot in the mud and during the winter in frozen streams - metal or fiber ones with multi section legs... well only a matter of time till the legs jam or freeze up. Just got through watching a film about George Tice. Noticed that he uses a Burke and James wooden tripod with its simple wooden tilting (only) head. (actually used same tripod in the 1970s with my 8x10). One can be had used for around $100. Legs will never jam or lock up and you don't have to worry about wear and tear. Also I'd never buy a new tripod. Find a used one in excellent condition and you will save a good amount of money. Also older models almost always go for even less. A new Linhof Heavy Duty Two section tripod with center column goes for $4,284.45 new. I picked up my 2 same tripod but older models for under $400 each.