Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow, stunning

Re: Wow, stunning

I would also suggest sticking around. Think of this as a microcosm of life. There are a bunch of people brought together by an interest in common -- but otherwise they are incredibly diverse. And sometimes that diversity of temperament and attitude means there will be incidents of people rubbing each other the wrong way. And there are a few people with the unenviable (and unpaid, and thankless) task of trying to keep it all on the rails and pointed in a more or less constructive direction (if you'll excuse the abysmal metaphor salad). And sometimes you won't like the way they do that job, but such is life.

Of course there have been a few incidents where collisions of values have been particularly distressing (and I'll admit, one or two that have left me saddened), but hey, have you seen the news lately? That's the world in a nutshell, there's no getting away from it.

What it does not do is take away from the immense richness of knowledge- and experience-sharing about the reason we are here.
    For the most part I find it helpful to just pay no attention to threads that get fighty, and when something does distress me, to remember that the forum doesn't actually owe me anything. It's just people.

So to nick a quote from Douglas Adams: 'Share and Enjoy'

From the response comments in this thread, it's very clear there are many members who care about the forum and the benefits it offers.

It's true there are threads which become contentious and situations where people are over-reactive. But you might experience that anywhere, not just on this forum !

Best advice is to back away from those conversations.

There's far more to be lost (than gained) by your leaving.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

I think this is a great forum...and find the variety of opinions/viewpoints/perspectives to be generally valuable. However...thinking out loud here, I sometimes wonder if the occasional bouts of incivility might be moderated somewhat were all of us required to use our actual, full names as our user-names.

Well, they don't seem to have deleted me, so I guess I will stay around unless they do. Thanks for the nice comments. What irked me so much the other night were not comments in the main threads, it was comments in this feedback section. It is a real shame when you see several of the big proponents of large format photography leaving because they don't feel welcome (not me, other people).

I remember the days of Fred Picker notes and anxiously waiting each month, Now we have Forums where we all can be insulted or praised within seconds of posting, I prefer these forums as I learn new tricks each week by many members contributions here.

Sometimes a thick skin is helpful here as our communications can be misread.

Thanks Bob, but communications like "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out," and "Maybe this forum isn't for you" are not hard to understand.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

And I guess a better question would be why are comments like those still in place when a simple question about bellows extension or coverage on a for sale item are deemed unfit?

But, there are no good answers for that, so I will just avoid the feedback section from now on.

Yea those examples are pretty clear. I wish my ex wife had said that .

Quote Originally Posted by CedarMesaPhoto View Post
    Thanks Bob, but communications like "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out," and "Maybe this forum isn't for you" are not hard to understand.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by CedarMesaPhoto View Post
    And I guess a better question would be why are comments like those still in place when a simple question about bellows extension or coverage on a for sale item are deemed unfit?

There are moderation inconsistencies as well as forum vision/intent inconsistencies... hence the current discussions and turmoil. But such is life (as someone said earlier).

But the comments directed specifically at you were rude, uncalled for, and should not have been tolerated.