Thread: Tamrac backpack, getting a backpack within the EU

Tamrac backpack, getting a backpack within the EU

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a backpack. I've found an affordable Tamrac 5578 (expedition 8), which I'd be buying new. There's a previous post here where a Linhof Technica fit an Expedition 5. I don't really plan to have the bag that much for hiking, but I don't have a car so an afternoon shooting rather locally will mean 15-20km walking with the gear. For now I need to fit the camera body, two lenses, film holders, shade and maybe and SLR as well. Here're a few questions
    -It will fit a LF camera body, right? How are the long vertical dividers adjusted to fit one in?
    -Can I fit a bit of clothes and a meal in there too? Is it solid enough when it's not full?
    -What's the difference between a Tamrac 5578 and a 787? The 787 seems to be nearly double the price for no reason.
    I won't be able to try the backpack, because where I live I haven't come across any of any make. The Tamrac is affordable only if I order it from Germany, which will save me about fourth of the price if I do it now. Of course buying something expensive isn't actually saving and if the backpack isn't really THAT good, I'll be better off with my current school bag. I don't mind carrying around a too large bag, so would a 5578 be on the safe side? I can find hiking backpacks, but good ones in that category are also very expensive and not even built for the purpose.
    Thanks for all suggestions!

I have the Expedition 7 (5577) and it works great for my LF kit. Cambo 4X5 SC, two lens boards, 12 film holders (all I have, with room for more) fits in with room for a jacket and my lunch. My tripod fits on the back. The construction is first rate and the harness system us very comfortable.

Steve

Eric Biggerstaff

I have owned several photo backpacks and all are good, but have you thought of buying the Gnass Gear products? They have seperate lens cases, camera cases, etc. that are perfect for protecting your large format equipment. Then you can choose any pack you like and place these cases inside.

I have found this to be a more flexible system then a photo dedicated pack. This is just an idea but may be worth considering. If you want to see the Gnass gear, go to www.gnassgear.com.

Good luck.

www.ericbiggerstaff.com
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Thanks for the replies so far! One of my concerns was that since no LF gear is mentioned on the Tamrac website, I thought maybe it would only be adjustable for medium or small format camera/lens combinations. I have thought of several cases for each item and a normal hiking backpack. I haven't come across anything cheap enough that would cover the different sizes I need. Thanks for the link to Gnass gear, but unfortunately even though the rate of USD/Euro would aid some, ever ordering a 5578 from Adorama will incur 100$ for shippping, not to mention you need to pay toll for the total price and 22% VAT on top of that for the lot. I can get "aluminum" cases cheap to pack the gear in and do my own dividers if I'll get a car some day. Besides, good hiking backpacks as such cost just as much or even more. Steve above seems to have about the same kind of use for a similar backpack I'm looking to get, so I guess it should do it for me too!Thanks!

Hello,

If you are looking for a confortable photo backpack you should take a look to the snowboard backpacks manufacturers' products.

Both Dakine and Burton have such products on their catalog. They were made for professionnal ski and snowboard photographers, so a particular attention was made to the confort and efficiency of the carrying system.

I personnaly own a former DaKine model, which is particularly deep. So I can fit my Shen Hao Camera vertically, plus 4 lenses, a 6*12 back, 10 fidelity film holders, a 6*6 rolleicord TLR camera plus accessories like blower brush, filters, loupe, map, dark cloth etc...

There is also another compartment large enough to put my Goretex jacket, and a small external pocket, very easy to access, where I usually put a bottle of water.

The snowboard carrying system is perfect for a tripd. And those backpacks aren't so expensive, they are in fact the better system I've ever tried. I don't like lowepro backpacks, they are don't thinked for hiking or long time backpacking.

As the DaKine backpack I own is no longer manufactured, you should take a closer look at the burton model, check this link out:

http://www.burton.com/Burton/gear/products.asp?productID=298&shortMaterialNumber=B5832301

Benoit

Sorry for posting my question and being such a hasty-pants then. I've ordered an Expedition 8 by Tamrac. Actually Steve's comment decided it for me once I got to know the Finnish going price of 516 euros from the importer. I ordered it new from German eBay for a total of 246 euros so I assume I wouldn't have gotten anything equivalent nearly for that price locally. Cheers!

A few words now that I've had the 5578 backpack for a while.I've had problems with the backpack shoulder straps coming loose. After being in contact with the manufacturer, they were very helpful in solving the problem and sent me coarser webbing I could replace the original webbing with. For me, the two places that needed the replacing done were the top and close to waist webbings that are used to adjust the shoulder harness. They were really easy and cheap to have replaced by a cobbler service. Just leave a bit of the old webbing to sew the coarser webbing onto. I was told by Tamrac that this slipping is a new issue to them and I suspect it may have to do with my physique as much as with the original webbing being a bit slippery. In every case, if you find yourself with the harness spontaneously coming loose, it's easy and cheap to fix. Replacing the webbing solved the problem for me and I'm very very pleased with the purchase I've made. All in all costs came to less than 260 euros. Excellent customer service from Tamrac and the backpack is very comfortable to carry.

Re: Tamrac backpack, getting a backpack within the EU

i can't really see what camera you are referring to, but since you mentioned a linhof technika i can very much recommend the tamrac cyberpack 6.
    it is medium sized, holds the camera upright! (saves place with a depth of 15 centimetres) 3 lenses/90/150/210, 5 double dark slides, light meter, lens hood, super rollex, reflex viewer and several other stuff. extremely comfortable.