Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Complaints about moderation are obnoxious and are killing the community

Re: Complaints about moderation are obnoxious and are killing the community

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    About 15 years ago we had a photography club in my small town. It had a small membership, perhaps 8-10 long time regulars. When digital took hold we had a few more people join. After a year or two one of the newer members, lets call him Jake, grew impatient and left, starting another club in the community. It grew pretty well and eventually both clubs merged. At some point there was a misunderstanding and Jake left and started another club, and he took a few members with him. Then a couple years later, Jake had a falling out at his new club and he left to start yet another club. So now we have three photography clubs all within about 30 minutes of each other. Thank you Jake

ps - I don't know if Jake is still at the last club he started.
    Good one!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    About 15 years ago we had a photography club in my small town. It had a small membership, perhaps 8-10 long time regulars. When digital took hold we had a few more people join. After a year or two one of the newer members, lets call him Jake, grew impatient and left, starting another club in the community. It grew pretty well and eventually both clubs merged. At some point there was a misunderstanding and Jake left and started another club, and he took a few members with him. Then a couple years later, Jake had a falling out at his new club and he left to start yet another club. So now we have three photography clubs all within about 30 minutes of each other. Thank you Jake

ps - I don't know if Jake is still at the last club he started.
    Ha! I thinks that's a good lesson for all of us here

I have had a similar experience on a forum I was helping to moderate...a parents' group for those with triplets of more. One person got really uptight with me, and started her own facebook group (or Yahoo, can't remember...this was late 90s). Several people left. Eventually I heard that the new group disintergrated under the leadership's craziness and control-issues.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have had a similar experience on a forum I was helping to moderate...a parents' group for those with triplets of more. One person got really uptight with me, and started her own facebook group (or Yahoo, can't remember...this was late 90s). Several people left. Eventually I heard that the new group disintergrated under the leadership's craziness and control-issues.
    I was a member of a couple of mostly mom forums when I was a new mom (2010). As much as people here may think things get out of control, NO, not NEARLY like those. One had basically invisible moderation, but most of the members took it upon themselves to tell other members when they'd transgressed. I'm a woman and have worked with mainly women, but those forums were totally different. Dropped out and deleted all cookies, username, and passwords. I think I actually got better at being a mom after that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    I was a member of a couple of mostly mom forums when I was a new mom (2010). As much as people here may think things get out of control, NO, not NEARLY like those. One had basically invisible moderation, but most of the members took it upon themselves to tell other members when they'd transgressed. I'm a woman and have worked with mainly women, but those forums were totally different. Dropped out and deleted all cookies, username, and passwords. I think I actually got better at being a mom after that, too.
    Bethe, your post jogged my memory of your work. It is truly marvelous, well seen and executed. Congrats!

Best,
    Merg