Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overmoderation killing the community

AnzaRunner

Overmoderation killing the community

It's getting worse and worse. Now even questioning the moderation will lead to your posts getting deleted. I fear for the future of this site. It reminds me of a certain soup related episode of Seinfeld, but DON'T say the word, because your post will be deleted. If you can't have a sense of humor anymore, and you can't question the moderation, you can't have a sense of community.

Re: Overmoderation killing the community

Bullshit You have 45 posts I think you should wait until you have 4500 posts

I think we should be all very grateful that this site is alive and well.

Great community here -- because of the moderation, but also in large part because of the members...people willing to take time to help others.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

AnzaRunner

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Bullshit You have 45 posts I think you should wait until you have 4500 posts

I think we should be all very grateful that this site is alive and well.
    So my opinion doesn't count? Is there a rule about that?

AnzaRunner

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Great community here -- because of the moderation, but also in large part because of the members...people willing to take time to help others.
    There are indeed some great people here, but I don't think there is a great sense of community compared to other sites. There are those that think everything is fine, and there are those who have seen the sense of community unravel and participate much less. There is less and less middle ground. Look at all the deleted posts and threads. The censorship reminds me of certain governments as they fall into dictatorships. People are afraid to speak their minds, and quietly go along with their daily activities as though there isn't a problem. That is NOT a good way to create a sense of community.

Quote Originally Posted by AnzaRunner View Post
    So my opinion doesn't count? Is there a rule about that?
    Yes it does count, but I would love to see you contribute in a positive way here , rather than taking a stab at some wonderful people with the terrible job of moderation.

There are indeed some great people here, but I don't think there is a great sense of community compared to other sites. There are those that think everything is fine, and there are those who have seen the sense of community unravel and participate much less. There is less and less middle ground. Look at all the deleted posts and threads. The censorship reminds me of certain governments as they fall into dictatorships. People are afraid to speak their minds, and quietly go along with their daily activities as though there isn't a problem. That is NOT a good way to create a sense of community.
    What on earth are you complaining about?

Re having a sense of community, well, why do you think this forum is a community? It is a site for exchange of information on LF photography and that's all. I am not telling you to go away (got that? NOT telling you to go away), but if you want a community, whatever that means to you, this isn't a good place to find one.

AnzaRunner

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Yes it does count, but I would love to see you contribute in a positive way here , rather than taking a stab at some wonderful people with the terrible job of moderation.

Wonderful people with good intentions can also be terribly misguided, and run a site in a way that is harmful to its very existence.

Wonderful people with good intentions can also be terribly misguided, and run a site in a way that is harmful to its very existence.
    I do not know how to respond any more other than to say stay for awhile , contribute, and you will see that the mods actually do a good job. If you still feel this way down the road then I would say this site is not for you, and you must leave.

AnzaRunner

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    What on earth are you complaining about?

Re having a sense of community, well, why do you think this forum is a community? It is a site for exchange of information on LF photography and that's all. I am not telling you to go away (got that? NOT telling you to go away), but if you want a community, whatever that means to you, this isn't a good place to find one.
    There are many threads in this exact forum complaining about the same thing -- the sense of overmoderation that is making good people leave the forum rather than deal with it. I am part of many forums, and this one seems to be the only one that has this problem. On other forums, people are free to discuss photography without fear of the moderators deleting posts they find objectionable for the strangest of reasons. I even had a post deleted because someone was apparently offended by the soup nazi from Seinfeld.