Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Frame Backpack

External Frame Backpack

Looking for recommendations for a pack to carry a large rail camera, approx 17"x19"x7" and 20lbs

Don't need padding as I'll make whatever I need

All accessories will be stored/carried separately

Not moving very long distances but need something comfortable

Thinking an external pack frame is best

I'm 6'4" tall and lean

Re: External Frame Backpack

This would work for you. Can't get better quality for less $$. I know Drew likes them. I haven't owned or used one for years....but a good choice. $29
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelty-XL-Ext...0AAOSwNRdX9X9M

Thanks!

Wondering if the pack tapers

Seller says it's 16x20x9"

May be tight

It's only 14.5" across inside the bag, wouldn't work

Too bad

I used one for years in the 1970s carrying my 8x10 in its bulky case up many a gorge south of Rochester NY. Tried attaching the case to the pack frame with tight bungie cords which failed on my first hike in. Ended up using 2 very secure non-elastic tie-down cords which were permanently attached to the frame with small sheet metal screws and duct taped to the case... looked ugly but worked.

Have you thought about heading over to your local Army/Navy store and seeing if they had an ALICE pack there? I did the same thing your thinking about with the frame of one. I have a Calumet CC-403 in its case. I had a friend weld me a platform and I attached it with some nuts and bolts as well as 550 cord to the pack frame. It works ok but akward to carry around.

R/
    Dave

David Schaller

I use an old Lowe internal frame with a big bag. It's a tight fit, but I get everything in.

There are good external pack frames out there. I know Kelty is good, as mentioned above. In the old days, I had a Gerry external frame pack and liked it. These tings turn up new and used on The-Bay all the time.

You might think about using one of these external pack frames with a hard-shell case from Pelican or one of the others; just strap it on. There is an aftermarket set of shoulder straps for Pelican cases which might meet your needs.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Drew Wiley

All these old packs take a bit of tweaking for sizing and comfort. I use em for general backpacking too, and given the fact that vintage Keltys and certain other old US mfg packs have better frames than new packs, and can be found cheap, often completely unused, I have a number of em. But you have to be careful with misleading Fleabay listings regarding sizing, condition of hip belts and back supports (replacements for these are no longer available). And there are some tricksters out there who list packs cheap, but then attach utterly ludicrous shipping fees. You want to have extra clevis pins and rings in your first aid kit. Capacity of side pouches and condition of zippers is another issue - this is one area where newer packs are an improvement. My backpacking pals always seem to have the latest and the greatest, and basically find their huge internal frame packs comfortable, except for being a bit hot on the back due to limited ventilation. But then I see how much fuss it is for them to unpack things, and appreciate the better compartmentalization and rigidity of a true frame pack. I can rapidly switch the pack configuration using Gatorboard dividers, bubble packing, and even Rubbermaid wastebaskets for use with different camera systems,
    whether MF. 4x5 folders, Sinar monorails, or my 8x10 system. No need for a bunch of redundant sponge foam like an official camera pack, though those might
    be fine for smaller dedicated day use systems. For really bulky camera, you can get game-carrier frames new, then customize those. Talking to some of the
    Vets here, I dunno about Alice packs. They're awfully heavy and maybe way too many pouches n' pockets.

I have been looking for a pack for my calumet 8x10 about 17x14x9 inches and a few pound more than other 8x10 cameras. I think there are some expedition packs made that will be big enough.