Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ilford FP4+ or Delta 100: "moon crater" pattern on skies after a long exposure

Dmitri Kouznetsov

Re: Ilford FP4+ or Delta 100: "moon crater" pattern on skies after a long exposure

I googled a bit for "foam 3010 drum" and apparently people were in same problem:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in.../t-116560.html

the one before the last reply just answers my question!

I also found an image with same nasty bubble pattern: http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?...or-base.50783/. interesting that foam leaves traces on overexposed areas. It is understandable, as at lower density areas entire latent density is revealed during development, while bubble edges, stuck constantly at high density areas, cause over-development underneath.

Re: Ilford FP4+ or Delta 100: "moon crater" pattern on skies after a long exposure

There are surfactants in some film and paper emulsions these aid coating and also help during development. I've seen them build up in the print developer tray and they will withreplenished film development but won't normally cause an issue.

Ian

Dmitri Kouznetsov

@IanG & Leigh: Yes, thanks, I will clean my drum thoroughly.

While at ordinary exposures like 1 sec my negative have no problems, both films show a "moon crater" pattern on even areas like sky after a long exposures (like 1 min) through a dense filter.

Have you tried a different Neutral Density or other 'dense filter'?

If this problem is only with negatives through your dense filter that is where to start. I did not pick up on this the first go-round. Shorter exposures are no problem. Longer exposures through the filter are. Try a lower light long exposure with a sheet of film with no "dense filter" and see if it has the same problem. My guess is the problem won't show up.

If it is a chemistry problem in developing try using more developer and see if things change.

Try only one change at a time so you can see when this disappears. If you try more than one change you won't know what the reason was.

Dmitri Kouznetsov

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Have you tried a different Neutral Density or other 'dense filter'?
    yes, I have four of them - different density in 77 and 95 mm, so I use one or another, depending on the lens - the pattern show up with all filters. Needless to say, any screw-in filter ends up at a random orientation relative to lens/film. So I guess it is rather overexposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Try only one change at a time so you can see when this disappears. If you try more than one change you won't know what the reason was.
    You are absolutely right here.

Dmitri Kouznetsov

Looking other threads and forums, I noticed people recommend Edwal NFL as a good anti-foaming agent. I cannot find it in Europe. Could someone point out an equivalent out of e.g. these:

https://www.macodirect.de/en/chemist...wetting-agent/
    https://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/chemistry/others/

Thanks!
    Dimitri.

Drew Wiley

Some water supplies have quite a bit of natural alkali or carbonate in them. Mixing developer in distilled water cures that. Or it could be severe condensation from
    either improper film storage or camera use on a cold day without conditioning the gear to ambient temperature before use. I dunno. Air bells during tray development look different. I've never had a mottling problem like this, with any film.

Is LFN only referring to EDWAL LFN or is it a general term? What is LFN chemically?

Dimitri, I have/had a similar problems using XTOL that ruined a whole batch of negatives:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...L-in-JOBO-3010

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    The most common reason I have seen for this foam buildup is from using a Yankee style tank to develop 4x5.
    Worst experience ever.
    This is interesting.

My Yankee tank is my first choice for 4x5 from a selection of several different tanks and systems.

It just shows how different folks have different experiences and outcomes.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.