Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 2880 died; suggest a replacement?

Re: Epson 2880 died; suggest a replacement?

Decided to opt for the 4880, in part because I prefer the interface with the computer.
    The P800 relies a lot on using the control panel on the printer.
    So, I'll have to make sure to keep it running smoothly, because it's in showroom condition, and the price is a bargain.
    Thanks for everyone's input.

I've run a 4880 pretty heavily over the last few years - it will clog no matter what you do, but keep an eye on it & run a clean cycle if it does. Back in May I ran it nearly continuously for a week & it still clogged now & then - nothing a clean cycle wouldn't fix though. It can be a very frustrating machine to get sheet baryta paper into - use 17" rolls if you value your sanity.

Otherwise it's pretty competent.

Thanks for the advice; apparently it's been a clog-free machine since purchase, but I haven't worked my special magic on it yet.
    Baryta (Moab Juniper) is exactly what I use, so I'll look out for that; thanks.

We ran a pair of 4880s in our public rental studio for several years. They are workhorses. Ours were getting long in the tooth, so we put them out to pasture and replaced them with a donated 3880 and a new P800. P800 is excellent, no complaints about the 3880, either. The key is to use them regularly. 4880s would clog occasionally, but a cleaning cycle, maybe two, would clear things up. Big ink cartridges in the 4880s, expensive, but they last a long time.

I'd buy the P800. 4 black inks, really nice machine. Second would be the 3880, widely available used. Both use the same size (but not identical shape) ink cartridges.

It was a tough call; my own preference would have been a 3880, but I couldn't find one I liked.
    The P800 seems like an excellent machine, too, just that the control panel on the printer is something I'd find awkward to use, rather than making the computer tell the printer what to do.
    Thanks, Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Dan Burkholder recommends the Epson 3880 in his "The New Inkjet Negative Companion". Personally went for the Epson 4900. I taught Digital Photography for years at the Hartford Art School. Their computer labs used 4900s. They survived abuse from students for years. Bit the $$$ bullet and bought an Epson 4900 and haven't looked back... Heads never block up from non use. My Epson 7800's heads would block up if I didn't use on a weekly basis.
    We run 5 4900's at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design. One is usually in the shop at any given time for clogs, even running a humidiier 24/7 in the space. In the 3.5 years I have been there 2 of them have been replaced entirely. It might be the low humidity but.....
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Hi David,
    Thanks for the suggestion; I was watching for a 3880, but since none were available, I opted for the 4880, just to have something right now.
    If a 3880 comes up, I may be in a position to buy it and sell the 4880, but I mostly need to get printing soon.
    I'll pick up the 4880 next week; thanks.

Hi Ari

Good luck with it. Hopefully you'll have help picking it up - weighs around 100 pounds without the box.

Thanks, Jim!
    If I can move the Creo, the 4880 should be ok.
    A friend will help, of course.

Ari, the P800 is run from the computer. The touch screen is for handy access to functions like matte/glossy ink switching, ink levels, opening the ink cabinet, other quick-menu items.