Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A reflection on time, seasons, life, chaos, probab

A reflection on time, seasons, life, chaos, probab

This spring I decided to take a camera with me on my daily bike ride with our dog, Lily, as we rode/ran through the beautiful park area near our neighborhood. This park has two small lakes, a marsh, and it borders the Mississippi River to boot. Its two miles from our house to the park and we do about a five mile circuit in the park before returning home. It is a virtual feast for the senses in any season. Now, I do shoot 4x5, but in this “project,” since it is a “run” so both Lily and I get our exercise, I use a DSLR. I look at it like making “sketches” of the things we see each day as we pass through the different parts of the park. If a scene is particularly impressive, I can go back with the view camera and do another shot at a later date. With the small camera I sometimes take 30 to 50 images on a good ride, stopping only briefly for each shot or series of shots.

All very well and good. But the first thing I became aware of in the three weeks since starting this project, is the illusive nature of the ever changing scenery. Going past the same spots on a daily basis, it is quite apparent that each day any given location is different even from the day before. Spring itself is a rapidly changing event. The brown dead grasses and reeds of the marsh dominate only until the new green shoots appear. The glassy perfection of the small lakes on a windless evening later become dappled with emergent lily pads. The trees rapidly grow delicate light green leaves, which multiply daily and become darker as they grow larger. Time and life itself transforms the landscape sometimes within the span of a few days. On a more mundane scale, you can return to the same spot at the same time a day later and find clouds, or no clouds, etc. The wind might be stronger or weaker, the air itself might be more laden with moisture which gives the late evening sunlight a different quality. On weekends we run earlier in the day, and it’s a completely different landscape in the morning or early afternoon from the one we see in the evening.

One evening I returned with the 4x5 to a particularly nice spot on the lakeshore to photograph the dead reeds and brown timbers strewn along the shoreline in the soft red glow of the setting sun. The shot I had captured a few days before with the small camera was perfect, but I wanted a larger, crisper image to print. When I got to the spot everything was about like it was before. I set up the view camera, did a spot meter reading and got the film holder out. The sun was just above the tops of the trees on the other side of the lake. Everything was perfect. Then, suddenly a small cloud appears. A small column that seems glued right in front of the sun. Clear sky to the left, and clear sky to the right. It was like the cloud, or God was giving me the finger! Gone was that magical red glow that had been softly painting the dry yellow fallen reeds. Since the camera was all set up and focused, I re-metered and took the shot anyway. Just out of stubbornness. The Ektachrome turned out well exposed and it scanned well, and the resulting print will be very nice. Just no soft red glow.

I am finding this is pretty much the case each time I return to re-take a photo at virtually any location, no matter which camera I have with me. Nature, serendipity, probability, and maybe even chaos theory all converge on each moment for each specific place, rendering that place at that specific time entirely unique. This is not a lament. Instead it is a realization that there are virtually infinite opportunities to capture different images in the same park at the same locations for as many times that I go to them. Kind of mind boggling!

Nicely put.

I've got shots around here I've been trying to get just so for three years. Other times I fall into one I never realized was there and it's 'in the bag' in a few minutes.

Photography is the never ending quest. Ain't it grand?!

The lesson here, is that you should put down that silly DSLR and just carry the 4x5 wherever you go.

You very beautifully articulate my firm conviction that travel photography is absolutely impossible.

Every time I have spent a week at the seashore, the tide has been out, the fog has rolled in, the sun has been in the wrong place and the weather has been foul. By the time I got everything sorted out, it was time to return home.

I remember two month-long visits to England during the 1980's. Every decent tourist attraction, including several castles (Warwick, Leeds, Windsor) were encircled in modern scaffolding. I didn’t realize there was that much scaffolding in all of Europe.

These days, especially with the difficulty flying with LF, I concentrate my photography solely on my local surroundings, pathetic as they may appear at times. If great pictures happen only five percent of the time, it must require a minimum of twenty visits to each location. I take a folding chair and a sandwich, just in case.

If only I could crop life as I can the scene I am about to shoot...

I'm reminded of the movie SMOKE when William Hurt tells Augie that the pictures all look the same. Augie tells him to slow down & look closer for each day has a different light, etc.. Also its a matter of knowing your subject which I think is why your best pictures are of your known area whether its Yosemite for Adams or South Florida for Clyde Butcher.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Steve, that was a beautiful little essay. You captured what most of us have experienced in a very soulful, artistic way.

I usually just lurk here, but I had to chime in on that one.

Yep.

What you have to learn (what I've got to learn, and relearn, and relearn) is to take what nature gives you at the time. That beautiful scene, with the beautiful lighting, and the calm winds, the level of the river, might never recur. Or it might. You just can't know. So... make the best of it while you are there.

Like you, I have places that I return to over and over. I've been trying to make a photograph of a particular tree on a rocky cliff for three years now. The first one I made was pretty good, but I screwed up the processing. I haven't been able to recapture the "mood" in that first try - yet.

I have also visitied places that I know I'm not going to be coming back to anytime soon. Sometimes it rains. Sometimes it's cloudy. Sometimes it's windy. Etc. Sometimes you can make a good photograph. Sometimes you can't. Sometimes the photograph you want isn't available, but other photographs are.

An example. I visited the Adirondaks in NY a few years back. It's a full two days drive for me to get there, so I haven't been back since. We got lots of rain and dark low clouds the week I was there. I visited a waterfall only to find that I couldn't make the photograph I wanted because I just didn't have the light. I looked at the fall for a good long time, enjoyed it for what it was, then started looking around. In the opposite direction, I found this. I took the photograph as it began to rain, again.

I guess what I'm saying is that the old saw might be right - when the photographic conditions hand you lemons, make lemonaid.

Bruce Watson

Coming back again and again and again and then again to the same scene never hurts either. I mean scenes that you see in yoiur mind's eye as being wonderful additions to your owrk and coming back to capture and recapture them in different seasons and different light.

I have a piece of secluded fishing stream very near my home that I have photographed literally hundreds of times over many years during all seasons and in all types of light (some of you readingn this have been there with me). I have captured this scene on 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 6x12 and 6x17. I have even managed to produce one image that I find satisfactory and another that is almost so.

Patience grasshopper.

Steve, you are absolutely right. The natural world is constantly changing, as is the light. I'll often visit a location time and again in pursuit of that "perfect moment". This shot was the result of visiting the same location many times over a period of years, waiting for the elusive combination of leaf and sky colour, light and still conditions; it's the best I've managed so far but no doubt I'll be drawn back to the location in the future.

One of my obsessions is to capture the bluebells here in the UK. Every year is different, dependent on rainfall and temperature, every year the same scene at the same location is different. Some years the flowers develop too quickly in relation to the tree canopy and in other years the reverse happens causing the flowers to bolt and become straggly. The ideal is when the canopy and flowers are in perfect harmony which is a rarity and you can bet when it happens the weather will be unsuitable for photography.

The reality is that the "perfect moment" doesn't really exist, there's always some element that could be improved; I guess it's what keeps us all honest and drives us all on.

I'll bet that while he lived there for many years St. Ansel made hundreds of pictures of Yosemite Valley from the overlook (and published dozens of them). But there's only one "Clearing Winter Storm."
    Incidentally, "The shot I captured a few days before with the small camera was perfect...." Why not print it? Unless you're going beyond 16x20 there's no advantage to having a LF negative over DSLR capture.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)