Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Tripod Head for 4x5 Field Camera

Recommended Tripod Head for 4x5 Field Camera

What would you recommend for a tripod head for a 4x5 field camera I recently acquired. ? I'm leaning toward a ball head, but would appreciate suggestions from more experienced users.

Re: Recommended Tripod Head for 4x5 Field Camera

You are going to get every answer possible.

I'll start. I tried ball heads and for LF they just don't work for me. I prefer a three-axis head with large handles. It is far easier to lock into position one axis at a time. I use this one. It's great. Total control. It is not the sexiest technology but it works with great confidence.

Welcome to LF!

What about a leveling head instead of a ball head?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    You are going to get every answer possible.

I'll start. I tried ball heads and for LF they just don't work for me. I prefer a three-axis head with large handles. It is far easier to lock into position one axis at a time. I use this one. It's great. Total control. It is not the sexiest technology but it works with great confidence.

Welcome to LF!
    +1
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Another vote for a 3-way head for large format. I would not want to use a ball head.

I use a Toyo TPM head which is awesome but they are not easy to find.

If you have the budget, I recommend the Manfrotto 410. Geared 3-way head, light enough but also solid enough for my applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Platinum Palladium Printer
    The Cunningham Press

What would you recommend for a tripod head for a 4x5 field camera I recently acquired. ? I'm leaning toward a ball head, but would appreciate suggestions from more experienced users.

Hello from France.

Actually I use either a 3-way GITZO head ref. 1340 (low-profile model, now discontinued, but the 1540 is still available ; both can be found on the used market) and an Arca Swiss B1 ballhead.

The Gitzo head is a joy to use with its convenient controls and large platform able to support a lot of different cameras. I use this head with a classical series 3 Gitzo alumin(i)um tripod.

When I need to backpack, I use a light wooden Berlebach tripod ref. 8013 and and the B1 ballhead.

I'm so happy with both that I would not sell one or the other head to keep only one ! The same applies to both tripods, metal and wood, I like both !
    Both heads GITZO 1340 or 1540 and Arca SWiss B1 can be serviced today ... so there is little risk to buy a used one.

[QUOTE=Paul Cunningham;1349171]If you have the budget, I recommend the Manfrotto 410. Geared 3-way head, light enough but also solid enough for my applications.QUOTE)

I also use the 410 head also with an older (1920's 5x7 Deardorff which is pretty light) Works well. It sits on top gitzo gt2531 legs. Wish the set up was lighter (the head weighs more than the cf tripod I think), but it works well enough. Maybe I should try a leveling head as it seems too come up a bunch as a suggestion.

I have a lightweight 4x5 (Gowland PocketView - 2.5 pounds w/ lens). I used it for years with a Gitzo #2 Ballhead. Like anything else, one gets use to what one has, and I enjoyed the compactness and weight of the ballhead. In use, I found the ballhead to work very well. Modern ballheads would work even better...separate pan knob, ability to set friction amounts, etc.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I use only a 3-axis head. A quality ball head might be better for wildlife and some other subjects.