Thread: lenses, Ellen and Shen Hao

lenses, Ellen and Shen Hao

I'm curious, Ellen (or anyone else) as to why a Rodenstock 150 and Nikkor 300 lens in perfect condition are not "the best in the world". I thought they were about as good as a bunch of others. No?

Octogenarian

Hi Richard,

I think Ellen was referring to the condition of the particular lenses and shutters that she purchased at Charlotte Camera. You can bet that, at the price she paid, Ellen did not get the newest Nikkor 300M or a Rodenstock 150 f5.6 Apo-Sironar-S. Both of those lenses, new, or in perfect condition, are world class and would cost a whole lot more.

I just wondered if, since the lenses in question are "in perfect condition" if Ellen is succumbing to the 'far off fields ' syndrome, or something. I have a negative and print I made years ago with a 12" Turner-Reich that I wish I still owned. I was stupid and got rid of it somewhere along the line with some other old lenses that I dearly wish I could get back. I don't have any idea aboutCharlotte camera stores (in the area where I live bargains like it sounds as if Ellen got are not to be had). The new stuff is wonderful, but the old ones - did Ellen get really old Rodenstock and Nikkor? - are often more wonderful for landscapes. Just channel Edward (Weston) or Ansel and ask.

Richard, at least you got rid of your good old stuff by choice. Mine went via burglar. Insured? Ya. Replacable? Nein!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Richard,

More modern is generally more better - when people ask, I always tell them the best lens buy is a nice used lens of the current manufacture. I think what Ellen said is consistent with this belief.

Lens sharpness questions are legion on this and other LF forums. Lens sharpness/vintage are natural things to think about, especially when people are coming from a smaller format where lens quality makes more of a difference because of enlargement factors. It does make a difference the smaller you go in format, and I'm always amazed at the image quality of the Mamiya 7II lenses/system I use when I have to have a very, very, light camera; if you can get what you want with this camera with it's limited focal lengths and no movements, it will at least compete with 4x5.

My 2 cents is that I've used LF lenses from 104 years old to the latest Super Symmar XLs, and all will produce exceptional images (although the uncoated lenses have to be used within their limits). If the glass is clean and clear and you're worrying post-purchase about the difference between a single-coated lens and the latest available, you're not worrying enough about pictures.

Steve

Gosh! I feel almost famous! LOL

Richard, what I meant by "not the best in the world" is simply that they are older - not too old; I know one of them is MC but I'm not sure about the other. But they are in really, really good condition and they will serve me well. They just might not be to everyone's standards - make sense?

So let me just clarify - to me, they are the best lenses in the whole wide world and they didn't cost me a fortune! It's enough to make me wanna do the 'happy dance'.

Take care one and all

Ellen,

You got it!

Steve

I still have some prints I made 50 years ago with a speed graphic and a goerz dagor of a focal length that required me stretching the bellows almost to the breaking point to focus for portraits - I had to lock the track down or it would move from the tension. I printed with a condenser enlarger from Royal pan film on Opal G paper, a bride's veil that you can count the threads in the knots in it.

It aint the equipment.

Ellen, just a hint if You would like to check out if Your "other" lens is multicoated too: Taking the lens off the camera and holding it at an angle to a light-source so that You can see a row of reflections in the lens interior (each reflection representing one glass/air-surface). On single-coated lenses, the reflections is of roughly the same color (often pinkish), and is usually not contrasty or "bright" in color (use Your MC lens as reference). On MC coated lenses, the different reflections is of different color (violet, green yellow) and each are brighter in color. A Q&D test on what kind of glass You have purchased.