Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Shen-Hao - Questions!

New Shen-Hao - Questions!

Hi.
    I just got my 4x5 Shen Hao a few weeks ago. What I have learned about the camera tells me the upper knobs you have pointed to with the red arrows are for holding the bellows in the standards. The bellows will pop out it you unscrew the knobs allowing you to remove the bellows.

The sliding brackets pointed out by the blue-green arrows allow you to attach a roll film back to the camera. This can be accomplised by removing the view screen frame. To do this you grasp the springs and lift away from the camera. The viewscreen frame is held in by two flamges (screws) that fit into two notches in the spring assembly. You can then release the viewscreen frame which give you access to the back of the camera. The roll film adapter or other device can be attached to the back by the two clips you pointed out. This process is the same as when you attach the lens board to the front of the camera.
    Of course you now have to buy a roll film adapter!
    The viewscreen frame is easily reattached to the camera by the reverse process or you can slide in in like a film holder until it clicks into place. However, this may scratch the frame when you just slide it it.

If you remove the bellows from the rear, just make absolutely sure that you put them back in again correctly. It's very easy to make a small alignment mistake on the shen hao and allow for light leaks. In particular, make sure that you seat the bellows behind the metal bar at the bottom, and at the top where the screws hold it in place, make sure that the back is tight against the wood, when it is, the screws should be very easy to screw in. Afterwards I usually turn off the lights and go around the assembly with a flashlight looking for leaks. Already once before I've had a few of my first shots ruined because I didn't put the bellows in right.

RE: Charlotte Camera, I'm on the Outer Banks and have ordered from them a lot. Including three lenses for the camera and three for the enlargers. They are very helpful and if I'm not satisfied with something, they make it right.

dee