Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ansel Adams' Clearing Winter Storm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ansel Adams' Clearing Winter Storm

My favorite AA image has always been "Clearing Winter Storm." I've always seen it listed at made in 1944, but in an interview with his son, he indicated that it may have been made in 1936.
    I've not seen anything about this. Does anyone have any information?
    Last edited by Bill_1856; 10-Sep-2016 at 08:17. Reason: typo
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Ansel Adams' Clearing Winter Storm

It's my favorite as well; I have an original 16x20 hanging in my living room that I bought at one of several workshops in the late '60s (a steal at $200). I looked in my copy of Ansel Adams 400 Photographs, p. 419, that shows circa 1937, and goes on to say that he was typically unsure of the date but evidence suggests late 1930s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    I looked in my copy of Ansel Adams 400 Photographs, p. 419, that shows circa 1937, and goes on to say that he was typically unsure of the date but evidence suggests late 1930s.
    OK great

In his autobiography, Ansel Adams says he went there in 1936 and always wanted to get a shot from Inspiration Point, but he clearly said that he finally got it in 1944.

A friend of mine (who was his gardener) showed me a print he swiped from the trash that on first glance looks very much like "Clearing Storm" and THAT one could have been from 1936.

However, many of us know that his most popular print versions were made YEARS after the exposure, as his visualization preferences changed. So it can be a bit tricky to learn what published dates actually mean (I'm guessing they're intended to mean the exposure date).

There was the same issue with Moonrise Over Hernandez, too. Apparently, he was pretty bad when it came to remembering dates...Odd for someone whom I thought was pretty thorough as far as note taking goes.

I don't know when the film was exposed, or when the prints were made. All I know is that I love to look at it; I always see something new, interesting, and beautiful.

Bruce Watson

It is indeed a beautiful photograph- it's impressive enough in reproductions, an original print is stunning and rewards repeated viewing. Am I correct in thinking that trees have grown up and that that particular view is no longer visible?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    It is indeed a beautiful photograph- it's impressive enough in reproductions, an original print is stunning and rewards repeated viewing. Am I correct in thinking that trees have grown up and that that particular view is no longer visible?
    It's been a while since I was there. 10 years? IDK. But the view is still there, although it's not exactly the same. Trees grow and change, just like they should. The National Park Service is known to perform some "view maintenance" when they think it's needed also. I wish they would do more view maint. on the Blue Ridge Parkway (4500 km [more or less] to the east of Yosemite), as many of the old views are so grown over as to be "missing" these days.

Bruce Watson

As for the notes - didn't his darkroom & studio burn down at one point in the 1940'ies? Might explain the lack of good notes...

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk