Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still Life Lighting

Re: Still Life Lighting

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_4074 View Post
    Why not just use window light?

Not to speak for the original poster, but to possibly help any beginner in this genre:

Window light is wonderful, properly handled, but it has the huge disadvantage of not remaining constant.
    Hi Harold,

It depends. If you're making a very long exposure (as for a close up) the variance of the light can be proportionally minimal. It's also possible to diffuse (and therefore reduce) the light by taping tracing paper on the window, for example.

If you use strobes and need more power, you can always double or triple your exposure (as long as the settings stay consistent and your subject and camera don't move at all).

why not try to paint with light? these examples are done with a 25 watt light bulb.. nothing else..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails farve (15).jpg   farve (20).jpg   k-still3-life-m-dyrekranier.jpg   stil-01.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Schildt View Post
    why not try to paint with light? these examples are done with a 25 watt light bulb.. nothing else..
    But Emil...

You could make a cardboard box look interesting.

The OP is asking about techniques for normal mortals like us.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Christopher,

I agree that diffusion of window light makes it easier to work with, but the larger problem is that it changes throughout the day, with the seasons, and with the weather; being able to process and proof a sheet of film and then trying to improve on the result (possibly after hours or days of consideration) pretty much demands artificial light.

Personally, I'd love to have a studio with a large, north-facing glass wall, but since most of my photography is done at night, I'm not sure what the point would be

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Schildt View Post
    Amazing!

Emil - beautiful work!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    But Emil...

You could make a cardboard box look interesting.

- Leigh
    pretty much. I never could nail painting with light properly, digital or film.. and Emil's work is so damn awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_4074 View Post
    Christopher,

I agree that diffusion of window light makes it easier to work with, but the larger problem is that it changes throughout the day, with the seasons, and with the weather; being able to process and proof a sheet of film and then trying to improve on the result (possibly after hours or days of consideration) pretty much demands artificial light.

Personally, I'd love to have a studio with a large, north-facing glass wall, but since most of my photography is done at night, I'm not sure what the point would be
    Hi Harold,

I'm not sure you're catching my point: You see, —unless you're photographing in direct, strong light— the fact that the light is changing during the day isn't at all a problem when you've got a bellows racked out to 20 inches with an opening of, say, f/32. If you arrange it so that your exposure time is long enough, you can even "burn" and "dodge" the subject! (a convoluted version of 'painting with light', as Emil so aptly does!).

For me, a north, south, east or west facing window isn't a problem either. I have a good tripod, so even a small window on a cloudy day is all I need (as long as the window —vis a vis the subject— is in a good position!). Take a look at the image I posted. This was taken on such a day: completely gray and overcast. The window faced an enclosed courtyard.

To assure detail in the highlights (I expected some overexposure in these zones), I developed in pyro.

Christopher,

I am sure that you missed the point I was trying to make. That is a lovely image that you posted; can you try it again with the pepper rotated a bit counterclockwise so that the mass is more centered above its resting place.....but do it tonight at about 10 PM your time?