Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Re: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Yes, that's me, about a week ago, atop Middle Sister in central Oregon. It was a pretty tough slog. I wouldn't have made it with a view camera, that's for sure.

Atop Middle Sister, Oregon by Austin Granger, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by monotux View Post
    Visibility was...limited. For 7 of the total 13 hours of walking up and down.
    Monotux, I`d maybe soften a bit the bottom right corner. Anyway, a very nice image. It`d fit perfectly over the sofa in my living...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    You have plenty of time to enjoy it! The fog image is fun!

Steve -- balancing rocks is the new thing (well, not brand new). Can be very obnoxious when done in heavily visited areas. A way for people to yell, "I have been here!", or perhaps "I am so bored with all this nature stuff. What can I do to make my mark on the land?" A new twist to the wilderness ethic of "Take only pictures, leave only footprints -- and a bunch of arty rock piles." I am not a fan of it -- I even try to minimize my footprints I leave behind.
    Vaughn, that's why this caught my eye, I have never seen such a collection. And it seems like such a weird thing to do. I'm used to seeing them singly as trail markers or hiding places for the registry often found at the top of tall peaks. A common occurrence in Colorado.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

One of the 6x12 frames from my hike in July 2015.

A view to mount (fell) Tierbmesvarri, Enontekiö, Finland.
    Toyo field (4 3/4 x 6 1/2), 6x12 back, SA 90mm, Ilford Delta 100

Drew Wiley

Thomas. Just noted your Mather Pass photo. Hard to see the detail, but that looks more like an oxidation surface on quartz monzonite granite rather than feldspar, which wouldn't share that salt and pepper pattern, but usually occurs in think pinkish veins in that area. Pretty just the same. My mtn gear is all cleaned and repacked for next season already, along with the little Ebony folder. And I've already got some wannabee "trainees" to accompany me on the shorter tune-up trips
    in the high country next summer. Longer trips need more experienced companions, since they tend to get into rough off-trail terrain. I still feel great at higher
    altitudes, but need longer rest after a "death march" than when I was younger, and a lighter pack too!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    . . . but that looks more like an oxidation surface on quartz monzonite granite rather than feldspar, which wouldn't share that salt and pepper pattern, but usually occurs in think pinkish veins in that area.
    Quartz monzonite has a lot of feldspar (roughly 80% or more), of which about half-and-half is plagioclase and orthoclase feldspar (the latter is a type of potassium feldspar or "K-spar" for short). So calling that rock "potassium feldspar" is not too far off the mark, because K-spars can be pink. Rocks such as granite are composed of minerals such as feldspar, so saying "granite rather than feldspar" is like saying "cookie rather than sugar".

Strictly speaking, granite and quartz monzonite are different types of rock, according to common classification systems (e.g., Streckeisen's), but many casually lump them together as "granite". Ironically, granite has more quartz than quartz monzonite (but quartz monzonite has more quartz than plain old monzonite, so it all makes sense). The "pepper" Drew mentions is probably hornblende, black mica (biotite), or other dark mineral; these could be in granite or quartz monzonite as well as other rocks. Many of the famous granite mountains are actually quartz monzonite.

The pinkish veins in the Sierra (and other places) is pegmatite, and it's main minerals can be similar to granite or quartz monzonite, but the distinguishing feature is that the crystals are big, due to slow cooling as they were intruded into cracks within the surrounding rocks.

This is a ways off-topic, but the statement about feldpars etc. was way-off, and worth a little effort to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    Monotux, I`d maybe soften a bit the bottom right corner. Anyway, a very nice image. It`d fit perfectly over the sofa in my living...
    If you want a copy I can send you a processed tif? I might have some computer time tomorrow evening (local time here is morning).

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    Vaughn, that's why this caught my eye, I have never seen such a collection. And it seems like such a weird thing to do. I'm used to seeing them singly as trail markers or hiding places for the registry often found at the top of tall peaks. A common occurrence in Colorado.
    It was completely out of control on Marginal Way in Maine - so much so that they outlawed it. Rightfully so, in my opinion.

Here's a little YashicaMAT shot from Bearpen Mountain in the Catskills. Some kind of weird scratch/marks across the top edge that I hadn't noticed until now. Odd!

Quote Originally Posted by Henrim View Post
    One of the 6x12 frames from my hike in July 2015.

A view to mount (fell) Tierbmesvarri, Enontekiö, Finland.
    Toyo field (4 3/4 x 6 1/2), 6x12 back, SA 90mm, Ilford Delta 100

Fabulous

What time of day was this ?

Martin

Drew Wiley

Well as you probably already know, MMERIG, "granite" is the blanket term for the primary plutonic material of the Sierras per se, and the most common type is
    quartz black n' white salt n' pepper quartz monzonite. I have a geology background myself, and at one time my father bought out leading commercial quarry to this stuff, while it was temporarily out of business. Beyond that, there are infinite nuances of the term granite, both casual and specific. I just returned from a long backpack trip which involved a brief stay at Porphyry Lake, which has several thousand acres of huge beach-ball like inclusions of black andesite in a matrix of typical salt n' pepper monzonite; but also random examples of things more tempting to color film like olivine or concentrated pink feldspar. I took one such shot with all the above in direct proximity, plus some reddish surface oxidation due to water and bacteria once running through a crack. Olivine also tends to form in cracks, at times re-depositing as stunning fern-like pseudo-fossils. We built our well pump-house out of examples of this! I still think the picture in question was an example of surface oxidation rather than feldspar concentration, but of course could be wrong because it's hard to see detail over the web. Our
    resident igneous & plutonic expert here at work is off on vacation, no doubt to lava tubes or something like that. I'm was more trained in geomorphology. But we both share a fair amt of paleontology training. Specific feldspars themselves can not always be correctly identified strictly by eyesight. That much I know. Things
    get insanely complicated in the vicinity of roof pendant geology, which in fact is a major element in various Sierra sub-ranges (one reason we locals referred to
    them as "Sierras" in the plural), yet the constituent of many of its most most dramatic peaks.