Page 21 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Re: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Nice. Looks like Franconia Ridge? I was up there in mid-Oct shooting some large format, haven't scanned any yet but we had a great day and the shots I developed look good.

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    Wonderful images Thomas, Tuco and Will. Here's a modest contribution from the White Mountains, taken a couple months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Nice. Looks like Franconia Ridge? I was up there in mid-Oct shooting some large format, haven't scanned any yet but we had a great day and the shots I developed look good.
    California maybe...?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Attachment 172170

I've posted this elsewhere before, but it's definitely apropos to this thread. This is looking back along the Mist Trail in Yosemite NP. May, 2002, about 4pm (from memory).
    Rolleiflex 2.8f. Vernal Falls is roaring at the viewer's right. This was (and is) my attempt at recording Yosemite without looking like I was trying to find Ansel's tripod holes.
    On 17 February '14 I got the idea of a close-up Vernal Falls from the Mist Trail with the 8x10 for a salt print. I found a spot just a few feet off thee trail where you could get close-up on the falls showing it plunging from the cliff onto the rocks below. Because of the large boulder where I was at (I was standing along its rim), it required a 300mm lens which showed the falls about 3/4 the way down the negative. But the camera was way too big for the task and I spent a considerable amount of time trying to focus and balance it without falling off the cliff as it was a really tight spot. I finally closed the shutter and had a hell of a time extracting the camera and myself back to the trail. On development the water appears sharp but the top 1/3 of a close dead tree jutting above the boulder in the immediate right foreground - which is sharp - is out of focus along with the trees in the background above the fall. The latter will work and I expected as much when I took the shot but the blurry part of the tree in the foreground prevented me from printing it. I think I'll give it a try and see how it looks. The 6x7 or 645 from that spot will work and I'm going to try again this season.

Thomas

Just be careful! More than one hiker has been lost to Vernal Falls...

Nah, that's definitely NH's White Mountains, not the California ones. Obviously above treeline. It looks like it's looking back towards the Bonds and Galehead, but that's just a semi-educated guess on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    California maybe...?

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Nah, that's definitely NH's White Mountains, not the California ones. Obviously above treeline. It looks like it's looking back towards the Bonds and Galehead, but that's just a semi-educated guess on my part.
    Yes Franconia Ridge! That's a Mt. Washington in the distance behind Garfield, South Twin and Guyot. The Bonds would be further to the right. I think Galehead is obstructed by Garfield. This was 6x7 Mamiya. I have taken my Wisner in the past, but I'm getting too old for that these days.

Nice! Such a great hike. Indeed, have to cross Garfield to get to Galehead I think. I hiked Falling Waters across the ridge to Galehead hut in a day one time, with my Brother, about 12 miles all told. It was a long hike, about 2-3 hrs of it by headlamp. Now I usually just do the loop and down Bridle Path.

I've taken a Chamonix Saber up there in the past, though the last couple times just a Cambo Wide with the 65mm on it. Works well handheld, or with a small tabletop type tripod. Usually a couple grafmatics of film, and that's about it for camera gear. I have taken the Mamiya 7 in the past, that's fun too but I got on a 4x5 kick a while back and once seeing the large negs it's hard to go back to "just" 6x7. ;-)

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Just a reminder:

The National Park Service is proposing an entrance fee hike for 17 parks beginning in 2018 and are inviting public comments on their website until 22 December: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/documen...cumentID=83652 The Annual and Senior passes are not affected.

Thomas

Hi!

From one of the most beautiful beech forest in Spain, Urbasa !

haya by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr

Bronica EC-TL II
    Zenzanon 50/2.8
    Kodak Tri-X : HC-110 (E)

Cheers!
    Antonio

This time in color ;-)

[
    urbasa by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr

Sony A7II
    Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21/4