Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Re: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Those two serial waterfall shots have quite a twisty snap to them, Iga. But I like the last posted version best because the extra amount of deep values around the waterfall actually accentuates the whites more, much like a picture frame. The black up the top also allows the upper tip of the visble waterfall
    to originate in context, poetically. Is the surrounding rock dolomite? It looks too metamorphically-altered to be limestone per se, at least in the very first
    multi-waterfall image.
    Drew, thanks for so deep analysis of my pics. I like the scond more because the trees at top give a real scale of whole thing...
    As for rock - I'm not sure, but this part of Pyrenees is limestone I believe.

Drew Wiley

Yes, but not just scale - the delicacy of the trees at the top replicates and accentuates the delicacy of the water - a nice counterpoint to the sheer force and
    strong graphic twist in the fall. A very nice shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    . . . . Is the surrounding rock dolomite? It looks too metamorphically-altered to be limestone per se, at least in the very first multi-waterfall image.
    Could be limestone, could be dolomite. Dolomite is not a metamorphic rock, in the traditional, geologic sense (i.e., via extreme heat and pressure), and it can look like limestone, especially if far away, as in the photo. Maybe you meant to say marble, regarding the metamorphism?

The much higher amount of magnesium in dolomite than in limestone is what characterizes dolomite, which forms in a Mg-rich sea, and would otherwise become limestone. The depth and turbidity of the water, and the source of calcium has more to do with either limestone or dolomite's texture and structure than the additional Mg. Some formations of Ls and/or dolomite have inter-bedded shales, and that makes them look even more different, and less-apt to form cliffs. Sometimes, vegetation can reflect the higher amounts of Mg, but I don't think this is a consistently reliable clue. Lately, I have been spending a lot of time in Paleozoic marine sediments, and it can be hard to tell them apart by just looking at them. The acid test helps.