View Poll Results: Should this thread stay or go?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it! It's not too political.

13 56.52%
  • Delete thread! It is too political.

10 43.48%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should this thread be Deleted? Thumbs Up or Down? - sample from the Romans

Should this thread be Deleted? Thumbs Up or Down? - sample from the Romans

Testing my idea to allow people to "vote" on whether a post should stay or go (Queue Clash song). This could be used in a future, proverbial "Politics and Photography" section. I'm also posting my first Poll, in 10 years here I believe.

Let's pretend I have posted several LF shots of beautiful Arctic seascapes and shorelines. But my agenda is to gather support for the plight of fur seals in the Arctic. So I show bludgeons and skinning tools in my shots too. Then I give some statistics about how many seals are killed each year. There, it's kind of political. Imagine my picture below, taken with a 14" Verito:

(LF Pic here)

Important: If you choose, after reading this, vote in the poll above.

Re: Thumbs Up or Down? - sample from the Romans

My idea is that after a period, the thread goes away, or remains forever. I can set the poll to expire after any number of days. We could select 7 days or 30, for example.

If by simple majority people have voted "it's too political, delete this thread" a moderator clicks his superuser "delete" button. He doesn't have to read or decide anything. The community does. Hey, might be fun anyway.

Re: Should this thread be Deleted? Thumbs Up or Down? - sample from the Romans

Tyranny of the majority?

Garrett: Most polls permit the voter to explain his or her choice, and I think your hypothetical example underlines what I consider the problem with the approach. I voted to delete the thread. But my objection was not to the images you describe, gory though they may be. I consider them (in my imagination) to be acceptable within the context of documenting, visually, the annual seal hunt. I am free to either skip past the images if I find them upsetting, or to comment on how well they tell a story if I choose to critique them. But when you add the statistics about seal killing, you have gone beyond the photographic into politics or polemics, so I am really voting to delete the statistics, rather than the thread. But you don't give me that option, so I say "delete the thread."

If you wanted to make a more difficult hypothetical case, I can suggest one: let's assume you post a series of technically excellent, 8x10 contact prints of aborted fetuses. I think within the context of abortion as a "hot button" subject, the mere images would be so political that I, personally, would vote to delete the thread even if there was no commentary accompanying the images at all. But of course I cannot predict how others would react. My general rule is "photographic imagery is OK, politically opinionated text is not," but there do exist cases where the imagery itself is so incendiary that my own rule fails. Proves, I guess, that there is no rule which works 100% of the time.

Do we need voter username protection?
    Tin Can

Ha! Thanks for participating. I know there are flaws in my approach. What if a Troll adds a hyper-political post to an otherwise ok thread? I guess individual moderation, as it is now. And I agree that photos aren't really that political, the explanatory text usually is. I could show photos of a lot of things, and they would still be open to personal interpretation. Maybe that's the answer, "any picture post is ok, with no words?"

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Ha! Thanks for participating. I know there are flaws in my approach. What if a Troll adds a hyper-political post to an otherwise ok thread? I guess individual moderation, as it is now. And I agree that photos aren't really that political, the explanatory text usually is. I could show photos of a lot of things, and they would still be open to personal interpretation. Maybe that's the answer, "any picture post is ok, with no words?"
    Remember I tried that with the "Image Only No Words Allowed' thread. The thread died and more than one normal person HAD to comment.
    Tin Can

Garrett, why are you trying to start a pointless wrangle? And why do you want to bring back pointless wrangles?

Foamer

What I want to know is why would you be using a 14 in. lens? Wouldn't a wider one be better? And, are you shooting color or b&w? And, how difficult is it to haul what has to be a big LF camera around in the Arctic? And, how is this uncoated lens working in a brilliant white landscape--is flare an issue?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Garrett, why are you trying to start a pointless wrangle? And why do you want to bring back pointless wrangles?
    Silly Rabbit, pointless is as pointless does. Wait! Another poll: Should one comment on a thread one doesn't like? Yes, no, maybe so?