Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Misguided KODAK advertising

Re: Misguided KODAK advertising

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    "heavy duty" are not alkaline batteries, but the old carbon cell batteries before Alkalines came around. That's why they are cheap, and die so soon.
    People still use those? I thought everyone had gone to rechargeable batteries by now.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Nope. Not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Thomason View Post
    Well, I suspect those who are purchasing baby monitors now most likely don't have a clue as to what to do with film. Who needs film when they have their iPhones??

Admittedly, most if not all of my "snapshots" are indeed with my iPhone, since it is with me pretty much always, but I also carry a film Nikon in my vehicle. Just in case something really nice might appear and make a good black and white print. For pure pleasure I use medium and large format B&W.

Come to think of it, I don't believe I have ever had anything actually printed from the iPhone snapshots - those images just meander around in cyberspace. Ahhh, silver is forever. Bits come and go. I wonder if there could be a business model for large scale transferring of digital images to archival film??????????? Surely someone somewhere is considering it. Might be a good project for someone with enough years ahead of them to work it out.
    Yes we are in final stages of exactly this.

I use a lot of Eneloop to save money and waste, but they are lower voltage and some devices are sensitive to that and require full voltage Duracell.

I tried Costco 'same as Duracell almost' but not even close and they are dangerous.

I found lots of the Costco brand AAA leaking in remotes. I went on a hunt and ended up cleaning many devices of the old 'Leaky Battery Syndrome' that destroyed gear in the past. I guess the Past is still here...

This is not an Anti Costco rant, but watch out for their store brand batteries.
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Yes we are in final stages of exactly this.
    the US government has been doing so since the dawn of the digital era. Or so I've been told by what I believed to be a reliable source.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    the US government has been doing so since the dawn of the digital era. Or so I've been told by what I believed to be a reliable source.
    We are making high resolution silver gelatin films, up to 30 x40 inch for contact process. This includes multiple separations of cmyk, rgb, as well tonal separations of different regions within a black and white image.

I would love to hear how the US government figured out how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

This is not an Anti Costco rant, but watch out for their store brand batteries.
    I've never tried Costco batteries but in the past I've found store brand batteries from other stores to be sub par. I stuck with Duracell or Energizers for alkaline batteries but now use rechargeables. They save me a bundle.

Agree with Randy's post about the Costco (Kirkland) batteries. Very leaky and ruinous of equipment. I will be inquiring of them if they guarantee equipment replacement as does Duracell in the event of battery damage.

I am otherwise very pleased with Costco and continue to be a member/customer.

I am now moving to strictly Eneloops in AA and AAA. I have used them for years and they have never leaked. Considering the cost of replacing stuff ruined by leaky batteries, the cost of the Eneloops pales to insignificance. Just be sure to get a quality charger (in the $100 bracket or so for a 12 position multi-size one) - they are worth it.

Not sure how the advertising is misguided. Kodak has some stuff they can't move so they put it on sale. What is misguided is that they offered it to begin with.

Foamer

I used to buy the Kodak "pre-charged" rechargeables. They are the same type as the eneloops. I got several years out of them, but they finally began losing ability to recharge. I now use Ray-o-Vac low discharge rechargeables. I tested them side by side with two sets of eneloops and found no difference. I own and use something like 72 rechargeable AA. I have 9 or 10 Nikon SB-25 flash (2 are SB-900) plus about ten CyberSync triggers. Those alone take about 60 AA batteries, and I always have sets of spares along. I use these flash mostly in winter; very cold here. I take photos of trains at night. The Ray-o-Vacs are doing very well. When it starts getting down right frigid (-20F) I put Energizer lithium AA in the triggers.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!