Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FUTURE OF 120 FILM

FUTURE OF 120 FILM

Jan, if there is a film that has bright future it's just the 120 format! This format has better quality pictures than 36mm (eventually replaced by the digital for a majority of amateurs, not all) and it's this at this format where it is cheaper to keep the film rather than the digital with this high quality and this ease of use. Don't look at the digital, go for your "top quality 6x9" (an Arca Swiss I hope for you...)!

FUTURE OF 120 FILM

" 'Not many people in a capitalist society will stop making something that people want to buy unless their business is just unsustainable.'

Somehow I don't think the Yellow Perils has this as one of their business maxims."

Come now, Dan. I read your comment as saying that Kodak has consciously decided to stop selling (some) film(s) despite having enough customers to sustain business. Hell, maybe that's why they're losing money; they're trying to sell digital to people who want to buy film!

Maybe there's hope after all.

FUTURE OF 120 FILM

I keep hearing of pros returning to film after investing heavily in digital. Apparently digital workflows are not up to speed, and clients assume that with digital the work is finished when the shutter closes so it is difficult to charge for all those late hours by the computer. With film, the lab does all the work, and the cost can be passed on to the client with no argument.

FUTURE OF 120 FILM

My motto is, buy more film and shoot it.

Now, more importantly, let's talk about this minature format you want to shoot...hehehe

FUTURE OF 120 FILM

Sad to say, I expect to outlive 120 film.

Fortunately, I have a couple well-working plate cameras, and if necessary I can reproduce Daguerrerotypy or gelatin dry plates using those cameras. Cyanotypes date from the 1830s (before even paper negative silver photography), and salted paper can be done in a bathroom with chemicals I can (if necessary) reproduce from stuff I can buy at a home improvement store and a jeweler's findings outlet. Glass isn't going to vanish any time soon.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

FUTURE OF 120 FILM

Apparently SCALA is due to be discontinued in 2006. I hope Agfa changes its mind because it really is an unique and beautiful film, but I expect very little from this company nowadays... If only someone would buy the rights to the emulsion and continue production!

FUTURE OF 120 FILM

Phillipe, Jan, take a look at http://www.dr5.com/main.html

I wasn't kidding when I wrote that there will be life after Scala.

Cheers,

Dan

FUTURE OF 120 FILM

Hello all,
    there are alternatives to Scala, I like B&W transparencies and I do it myself with a few films with nice results.
    see this post :
    http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/500418.html

Regards
    Claude

Re: FUTURE OF 120 FILM

I was notified by the professional lab I have been using for the past 15 years they will no longer be processing c41 anymore as of July 2008.Makes me sad because I will have to finally put my Hasselblad in a box / museum.
    Is there any lab in Montreal still willing to process 120 film.I have not gone digital yet so I had no choice but to refuse jobs this summer.Although this is a side line so it does not impact me too much.I was hoping when I purchased my Hasselblad 20 years ago I would still have the joyment of using the blad well into my retirement days.I hate technology.
    Hope someone can give insight to the future of 120 film.

Re: FUTURE OF 120 FILM

Quote Originally Posted by Dphotography View Post
    I was notified by the professional lab I have been using for the past 15 years they will no longer be processing c41 anymore as of July 2008.Makes me sad because I will have to finally put my Hasselblad in a box / museum.
    Why does that mean you have to put your 'blad in a museum? You can switch to E6 film. You can send your film via mail to another lab if there isn't one in Montreal (but I'll bet there is).