It really is a simple matter of cost. With so much demand destruction due to pros migrating to digital, prices continue to increase to make up for lost volume. Every increase probably prices out a small segment of the hobbyist/amatuer crowd which in big enough numbers requires prices to go up again continuing the cycle. The question is does demand and price stabalize at a sustainable level or does downward spiral continue until companies such as Ilford, Fuji and Kodak leave the market place?

I think we will always have 120 film in some form, but I don't think we will ever replace the quality and consistency of an Ilford, Kodak or Fuji.

However I am doing my part for 120 as I have migrated mostly from LF. For the biggest enlargements I make (16x20) 6x7 or 4x5 is fine and anything I might want to contact print I can have a friend produce a digital negative for alternative process printing. I am taking a workshop to learn wet plate this summer for 8x10 and 11x14. The reason I have migrated mostly to 120 is on my budget I have been effectively priced out of 8x10 and larger.