Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to forum! Hey!

Re: New to forum! Hey!

You have it all wrong about the management here. This eerily sounds like you've been asked to by someone who was banned here to join up just so you could say that. I hope I'm wrong.

Like...why did you even join up if you thought it was a hostile place? Something fishy going on here. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

(Shrek)

I for one would love to see your photos. Do you have a flickr page or something like that?

The forum is primarily technically-oriented, but we're photographers so in the end it's the images that count. And if you've read the recent dustup, you should know that there was very strong push-back from forum members when there was an action perceived to be anti-Trans. The membership as a group will not tolerate bigotry, or even the appearance of it. So if you are a large format photographer photographing the gay community, please reconsider and dip your toe in the water here. We might be old and cranky, but we mean well.

I would also love to see your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I for one would love to see your photos. Do you have a flickr page or something like that?

The forum is primarily technically-oriented, but we're photographers so in the end it's the images that count. And if you've read the recent dustup, you should know that there was very strong push-back from forum members when there was an action perceived to be anti-Trans. The membership as a group will not tolerate bigotry, or even the appearance of it. So if you are a large format photographer photographing the gay community, please reconsider and dip your toe in the water here. We might be old and cranky, but we mean well.

And so would I and the majority.

I would like to see them, too.

I have a son, whom I am quite proud of, who is gay, and other members of my extended family whom are gay -- that is not an issue with me. I do have an issue with folks that tend to be overly self-rightous, but willing to cut them some slack because we all have our issues and personal histories.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I would like to see them, too.

I have a son, whom I am quite proud of, who is gay, and other members of my extended family whom are gay -- that is not an issue with me. I do have an issue with folks that tend to be overly self-rightous, but willing to cut them some slack because we all have our issues and personal histories.
    I have a sister and a cousin who are gay. I've also had friends who were gay or bisexual.

I try to love others and not judge them.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I have a sister and a cousin who are gay. I've also had friends who were gay or bisexual.

I try to love others and not judge them.
    We pretty much all have family who are gay. It's just that some of us don't know it.

Whether or not most of us have gay friends, or family, or are gay, is in the context of this forum irrelevant. A portrait is a portrait regardless of the sexual preferences of the person being photographed, or the photographer, unless it is an image of the actual sex act (Nan Goldin, anyone?) or as extreme as some of Maplethorpe's images (I'm thinking of the one with the bullwhip). This is, of course, the issue being argued in the numerous and lengthy threads in the "Feedback" sub-forum, but nothing that any prospective member should worry about. Just join in, show your work, and ask your questions. I think you will find the vast majority of Forum members to be welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Whether or not most of us have gay friends, or family, or are gay, is in the context of this forum irrelevant.
    What Peter said.