Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Monolights: Profoto or Einstein?

Re: Monolights: Profoto or Einstein?

I use Bowens (company gear) and would prefer other lights as they're not the most intuitive. Also not as durable and also not what you were asking about, sorry

Having said that, if money was no object, a pair or more of Profoto B1 500 Air heads would get my wallet opened. A couple of colleagues love them and they battery last pretty good and charge quickly. That two will fit in a backpack makes some location lighting jobs less of a hassle if you can't bring along slave.

If budget an issue, I was looking at Einsteins for the price and feature set. I know a few photographers who use them and are happy with the, For repairs, I'm pretty sure Kevin at KHB works on them.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

As a (currently working) photo assistant in Los Angeles, I've been fortunate to have had working experience with pretty much every major type of flash(not "strobe", which is a continually pulsing light) system out there during the past 8 years of assisting full-time.

Build quality: Profoto and Broncolor are what MOST rental houses carry, because the systems are usually quite straightforward, and the build quality is (usually) better than the lower priced units. I have worked for a guy who has been using the same Dynalite heads and packs for 20+ years. They're battered, but are still working fine for lighting interiors and architectural work. I asked him why he didn't upgrade to Profoto or Broncolor, and his short answer was "why fix it if it isn't broken?" It rings true. He didn't NEED the main selling points of the "big player" systems like super fast flash duration, 1/10 stop control of light output, Some of the modifiers solely dedicated to that particular system(which, nowadays is pretty easy to source adapters) etc...

Personally, if (I) were to buy into used Profoto gear for portrait/headshot work, I'd be looking at used Pro-7B or B2 packs and PRO(not Pro "B") heads. Reason being: having the pack separate from the head means you don't have to drop the head to adjust settings when the light is up high.

A LOT of people here in LA have moved to owning their own lights now, BECAUSE of the Einsteins in terms of pricing versus Profoto and Broncolor. For the price of (1) Broncolor Move 1200 pack and a single head, I can get 3 Einsteins, batteries and some modifiers. Food for thought.

Also, for US(buy through a friend here in the USA if you can) customers MY EXPERIENCE has been that PCB customer service and repairs is second to none.

Yes, you'll need to show a little more care when handling them, and their modifiers(especially speed rings) are of "overseas" quality, they're peanuts cheap compared to a Profoto or Broncolor modifier brand new.

I'm answering this on my phone, if you have any questions Ari, we can talk on the phone if you'd like... Feel free to PM me if you want.

-Dan

Fred, thanks; I've rented some Bowens kits and I was underwhelmed, though they seemed respectable enough.

Daniel, I appreciate the offer of a chat, I may take you up on it.
    I've owned Alien Bees, Dynalites and a host of smaller, older, lesser-known heads; I assisted using Profotos.
    The specs and features of the Einsteins look pretty good, but I don't need the ultra-short duration or 1/10-stop variability; I just need a couple of solid heads that are easy to carry, set up and use.
    I like many aspects of the Einstein heads, and there are also things I don't like about the PCB line in general: speed rings, the way modifiers clamp to the head, the generally cheap feel, the way the light scatters (uncontrollably, sometimes).
    The only thing I don't like about Profoto is the price, but I'd rather pay extra if I feel the cost is warranted. I know that 1 Profoto head = 3 Einsteins, but it's not only about the price. If it were, I'd get the Einsteins tomorrow.
    I'd also settle for a pack and two heads, like you said, being able to change settings from the ground is a lot easier than having to climb up a ladder to do it.

with the Einsteins and Profoto Air monos, you can dial in adjustments from the camera via the remote trigger. Packs are great in studios (used to use Dynalights) but being able to place lights where ever I want as long as there's a plug or enough battery packs is very appealing.

But in the end as we all know, you get what you pay for and it can be a pay now or pay later situation.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I am sticking with Elincrome (1200 and ranger series) but ensteines are ok. Had used them few times, was getting less issues with colors ( still some but not like AB). Might also depends on with digital you will use - MF ones are very strict, dSLR for 35mm more forgiving ( but not totally) . Profotos are nice but do not take abuse well, as folks said and I don't like their modifiers anyway

Agreed, Fred; paying later usually costs more in the long run.
    Sergei, I like the Elinchrom modifiers, not so much their way of attaching the modifiers, so maybe an adapter is in the cards.
    I do use digital, but for every job I do, I try to also shoot film, if only as a back-up or just to amuse myself. So I can see getting an older type of flash kit, not just a digital-specific one.

I like my Calumet/Bowens Travelights

sturdy, takes bowens bayo light modifiers (careful of Chinese made non Bowens or Calument brands though - some don't quite fit)

powerful (750ws) and infinately adjustable output and built in slave

I have three

I tried them on one occasion; they're good, seem solid, no complaints.
    I wasn't crazy about Bowens mount, but the accessories are cheap and readily available.
    Thanks, Dr T.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, I bought two Profoto Compact 600R monolights. They should be here in a week or so.
    I spoke to a few people (both named Stone, thanks!) and the Profotos were just too highly recommended for everyday hard use.
    Also, they're a little older, so they were made when film was still a big deal, whereas the digital Einsteins would have been good if I were only shooting digital stuff.
    Thanks again!

Also, they're a little older, so they were made when film was still a big deal, whereas the digital Einsteins would have been good if I were only shooting digital stuff.
    This is a joke right? I missed the smiley face.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"