Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum moderation; I am disturbed by the recent events...

Re: Forum moderation; I am disturbed by the recent events...

I need to attend to some work responsibilities just now, but will follow up shortly with a few additional comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Whether it was from the subjects or not, the comments took on a political tone regarding a subject that is very divisive to society in general. Why would anyone expect it to not be divisive on a web forum.
    Because people's life stories, nay, their very existence, aren't a divisive topic in much of the Western world. The US is an exception. Indeed, the thread managed to survive for an entire three months without incident.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I too agree with Michael , I was following Richards thread with interest and it amazed me that it was so effectively closed.
    I also liked the life stories there, to me it was interesting, even they are out of the scope of LF craft, and to me it would be better placed in the Lounge.

But, IMHO if a bitter discussion arises the involved posters must go the PM way, as a polite way to not disturb others.

If involved posters are not able to do that the thread must be closed, IMHO, just when moderator think that enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    not having seen what took place I can not say much.

But I offer a suggestion: Would locking the topic but leaving it accessible for viewing have been an option?
    This is what happened. The issue (for me) is the moderators' insistence that the photographs are only acceptable if not accompanied by the life stories of the subjects.

Everyone makes mistakes and nothing is ever perfect. I think someone said this already but I strongly believe that no one is being evil here. This whole thing has blown up into a complex matter and I am not sure if there is a easy way out.

My request is simply that the mods will explore a solution to give Richard his voice (Photos + Text) back because many of us find it very appropriate for this community.

I'll shut up now.

Pali

Quote Originally Posted by RHITMrB View Post
    Because people's life stories, nay, their very existence, aren't a divisive topic in much of the Western world. The US is an exception. Indeed, the thread managed to survive for an entire three months without incident.
    For shure... here in catalonia/spain this is not a divisive topic at all. Still we had a divisive topic about if "unconventional" couples can adopt or not children.

The question is if a LF forum has to avoid or not divisive topics...

My view it is that there is a Lounge where same community can debate everything with total freedom and IMHO it is better to remove "divisive topics" from the LF craft core section when controversy arises.

Posters have to be polite enough to go PM before assembling a riot in public... if not... thread closed !!!

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    not having seen what took place I can not say much.

But I offer a suggestion: Would locking the topic but leaving it accessible for viewing have been an option?
    Knowing some of the strong, opinionated personalities that visit this site, there would have been someone sooner or later who would have started a new thread about the offensiveness and kicked up the dust all over again. I don't agree with deleting images or threads as a general principle (I adamantly oppose censorship) but I can see it from the moderator's perspective that discretion is sometimes the better part of valor.

Quote Originally Posted by RHITMrB View Post
    This is what happened. The issue (for me) is the moderators' insistence that the photographs are only acceptable if not accompanied by the life stories of the subjects.
    This is where I am strongly in favour of the words accompaning the photographs.

It is common practice for a working photographic artist to provided context to photographs if it is to be considered for a gallery show. Yes the photographs do stand by themselves and I think the words also
    added to Richards message.

We have seen this thread go for three months as many point out.

OMG I can think of hundreds of conversations on other threads that never closed them down, just ask Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post

My request is simply that the mods will explore a solution to give Richard his voice (Photos + Text) back because many of us find it very appropriate for this community.

Pali
    That goal seems to grow more and more distant--it appears Richard has been banned by the moderators from posting here.

Seem Orwellian to me.

--Darin

btw where is Drew , he certainly can save the day.