Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: LFPF censorship and moderation

Re: LFPF censorship and moderation

I just looked at the thread, I'm sorry it's been shut down.

Photographs without words resemble reading without understanding. Photographs are the product of technology and a subject: both are important. We learn from words that broaden our understanding of the technology. Some subjects need no words for understanding. Some subjects cannot be understood without words. Richardman's photographs without words teach us little. Richardman's words without photographs have no soul.

From my perspective, it may be individual discomfort with the topic is the real issue.
    What niggles at me is that apparently it was Richardman's post that was the problem.

"And Richard, your comment shows why this thread needs to be closed."

Bill "having an MD, like Kent, doesn't make me right, either"

I daresay the eyes of the world are upon this thread. We have 2000 views of this thread in 7 hours overnight in the darkness.
    Tin Can

I fully support Richard's position. He should be allowed to post his photos and text.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Are we having the Mapplethorpe discussion all over again 50 years later?

While we appreciate the fact that the quotes from the subjects are an integral part of Richardman's mixed-media (photo + text) presentation of the project, the LFPF is a photography forum, not a forum for presenting, documenting, or discussing sociopolitical issues. There are usually strong feelings on all sides of any sociopolitical issue. The quotes from the subjects in the project, however, open the door for discussion that is outside the scope of this forum. So, while some feel not allowing the text is unfair censorship, it would be equally unfair to censor the other side of the discussion.

Thus, our decision was to stay true to the focus of this forum, just the photography.

As a side note, this position also precludes other, similarly-presented projects, such as portraits of members of the American Nazi Party, members of the KKK, or portraits of ISIS members showing their handywork. If we were to allow one topic, we'd be obliged to allow all.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I fully support Richard's position. He should be allowed to post his photos and text.
    Plus one - I was following his work and I think that in the world I participate, words are required with a series to help give context to the work.
    I find this odd that the moderators would close this down . I was dropping in on his thread daily to see new images and stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    As a side note, this position also precludes other, similarly-presented projects, such as portraits of members of the American Nazi Party, members of the KKK, or portraits of ISIS members showing their handywork. If we were to allow one topic, we'd be obliged to allow all.
    Joining ISIS, the Nazi party or the KKK is a conscious political / religious choice. Conflating those things with the thread in question seems unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by pjd View Post
    Joining ISIS, the Nazi party or the KKK is a conscious political / religious choice. Conflating those things with the thread in question seems unfortunate.
    Really unfortunate!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know