Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SP-445 4x5 Film Processing System (Daylight tank)

Re: SP-445 4x5 Film Processing System (Daylight tank)

I've noticed after running about 12 sheets through the SP-445 that the back side that's in contact with the holder ridges is getting scratched. This doesn't show up on the prints at all which is nice but I don't like having pre-scuffed neg's... I'm considering perhaps less agitation or additional reading to see if i'm doing something wrong?

What if 475ml is not sufficient volume for two 8x10 films?

What is the maximum volume the tank can hold with two films loaded?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Vince Donovan

The SP-445 only holds 4x5 film, four sheets max. It does not hold 8x10 film.

I develop my film with Xtol diluted 1:1. Kodak recommends 100ml of diluted developer for every 80 square inches of film, which is four sheets of 4x5. Per Kodak's recommendation, 475ml of developer should be plenty.

Andrew Moxom

Quote Originally Posted by william.j.dwyer@usa.net View Post
    I've noticed after running about 12 sheets through the SP-445 that the back side that's in contact with the holder ridges is getting scratched. This doesn't show up on the prints at all which is nice but I don't like having pre-scuffed neg's... I'm considering perhaps less agitation or additional reading to see if i'm doing something wrong?
    I tested my SP-445 yesterday and got ridge marks from the film holders too. After scanning, they did not appear to show up, but still, scratches of any kind are not acceptable. I may try it again this weekend by not sliding the sheets in. I will insert one edge under the tabs and then cup the film and do the same at the other side, and then just slide the film down a bit to lock the front edge under the tabs at the bottom. This has to be better than dragging the film its entire length down the ridged holder????

Andrew,
    I doubt that loading the film holders "sideways" will make a difference. We've run sheets of film in/out of film holders and have not seen any marks on the film. The marks only seem to show up on wet film.

We're still chasing this issue down. The biggest question: why do some people see and most do not?

Try unloading the film with the film holder submerged in water. This would break any surface tension that would be "holding" on to the film.

We've also posted some more info on our blog at: https://shop.stearmanpress.com/blogs...r-film-holders

I have run many sheets of a couple different films through my SP-445 and only one sheet had a very slight (about 1/2 the length on the long side) mark from the ridges. Don't know if it makes any difference, but I pre-soak, do not use wetting agent in the tank, and submerge the holders under water when removing the processed film, as Tim suggests above. I do the submerge routine with one holder at a time, grab the short side on the tabbed end, lift it slightly and give it a wiggle to break any surface tension. The film pretty much floats out at that point. Also, one of my holders had a very slight bend (curvature) to it which I straightened, per tips on Tim's website. Don't know if that made any difference, but I haven't seen a single mark since then.

Good luck! I think with a little trial-n-error you'll get it working, as expected.

I have run Ilford FP4+, HP5+, Fomapan 400, Bergger Pancro 400 through my SP-445 tank. I have not noticed any marks on the back side of the film, nor have I noticed any marks on the emulsion side of the film.

I too, do the submerged routine to remove the film sheets, in an 8x10" tray which allows plenty of room for the film to almost float out on its own.

I then do my wetting agent routine one sheet at a time in a 5x7" tray, held between my index finger and thumb; which has been my 4x5 routine for at least the last 25 years.

I think this tank is quite wonderful, I would suppose there may be refinements for any future manufacturing runs if required or seen as nice, but all in all, I think it does the job pretty well as it is right now.

Mick.

I don't use this particular tank. I always use a fixer with a hardener for sheet films. It's a old habit that's hard to break. Emulsion gets soft when wet. As you increase temperature above 20 C it gets a lot softer.
    Even when I do a final rinse in purified water with photo-flo I'm careful to go slow. Just in the last year I had 2 sheets of 8x10 film in a tray and sure enough, the corner of one film gouged out a small sliver of emulsion from the other.
    In all my years I find that 90 % of the time I damage the emulsion it's when I remove the film from (tank, hanger, reel,drum,etc) or in final rinse.
    I would be curious if people that have issues would try 2 things. Hardener in the fix, and the last 2 minutes of wash gradually drop the water temperature to 15 C. See if that helps at all.
    Best Regards Mike.

New film holder design announced today. I shoot primarily x-ray film, double-sided, so the old design definitely did not work for me. Hopefully, someone will order a set and test it out with x-ray for us.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

I sure like the look of the new holder better than the first. MHO Best Regards Mike