Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why a darkroom?

Why a darkroom?

why do photographers use darkrooms??

Why a darkroom?

for me, it's a hobby. i shoot mostly medium format and 4x5. nothing makes me feel so excited as when i turn the lights on after doing a 16x20 print from 4x5. i also like knowing that my prints' esthetics are because of my own doing: no point-and-click, no downloaded filters, all knowledge and darkroom craft. i have a high tech career -- a low tech hobby makes me feel completely in balance. it's such a good escape. and knowing each of my prints is 100% hand-crafted makes me feel good.

Why a darkroom?

Because it doesn't work well with the lights on.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Why a darkroom?

For the most part, to provide a light free environment as the name implies, and more convenient than a tent. The addition of running water makes it even better,

Why a darkroom?

Personally, I find that the "film fridge" is a good enough reason alone to have a darkroom (it goes without saying that it also contains some refreshing beverages).

Why a darkroom?

Jason, please do not call the craft of fine art black and white printing a low tech hobby. As someone who has wanted to pull his hair out trying to turn out that better print, there is nothing low tech about it. Those times, fortunately, are offset by the times a fine art black and white print is almost magical.

Although I fear for the digitial "interference" into black and white print making, I realize today's kids will have camera phones better than today's digitial cameras, they will be bored with picture taking after a bit, let alone any thought of darkroom work, the average person will be bored to death with umpteen photoshoped saves of mediocre pictures, the mere mention of digitial in a courtroom will bring cause for dismissal, everyone will be sick to death of people who shoot 700 pictures, delete 695 and print none, and everyone even down to the scrapbookers will be worn out with the latest, greatest "archival" inks and papers that won't even make it a year on the refrigerator door. Maybe then fine art black and white print makers can pick up the pieces and revive what is left of photography as an art form.

Why a darkroom?

Two reasons. First, I already spend enough hours in front of a computer in a home office. I need an intellectual and physical diversion. Secondly, the speed at which equipment becomes antiquated and the value goes from expensive to worthless in no time at all is mind boggling. How people can complain about not having anough capital for LF and then do digital is beyond me. My chemicals, trays and film and paper inventory wish them all the best.

Cheers!

Why a darkroom?

i use "low tech" sort of tongue-in-cheek. i have some gadgets. i have an expensive spot meter. i have a color head on my enlarger. i even have a calumet print washer. to me, "low tech" refers to composing my image on a ground/etched glass. it means focusing manually. measuring and mixing the chemicals to do the development. moving my prints between trays and feeling the difference in touch between baths. it is all so basic and low tech for me. i love it.

cheers,

jason

Octogenarian

Why a darkroom?

Is this one of those "why did the chicken cross the road" jokes?? O.K. Ted, what's the punch line?
    (These types of questions are hard to take early in the morning. I need a cup of coffee).

Why a darkroom?

It's "low-tech" because someone else is doing all the HighTech stuff for you. If you had to grind your silver and combine it with a halide then boil down your cattle horns to make gelatin, and coat it onto a plate glass which you made from sand, then develop it in chemicals which you had to make from dirt and rocks...then it would be high tech. "Low Tech" it is, you lazy slob. Oh yeah, I forgot the cutting down trees and pounding the pulp to make paper to print on. Jeez, we never had it so good.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)