Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera has ceased publication

View Camera has ceased publication

Haven't seen anything posted here on this item.

I've been attempting to find out what happened to my subscription (renewed last Fall). Finally got an e-mail today from Steve Simmons with the attached undated letter announcingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	end letter2.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	154078 that he has ceased publication.

Re: View Camera has ceased publication

I met and spent a short time with Steve. I am sad to see the magazine fold more because it was a labor of love for him than for any other reason. I certainly wish him well and am sorry that I am now too old to travel to one of his wonderful workshops. If you haven't been to one,and get the chance, do yourself a favor and go.

Good luck Steve,
    Jim Noel

Bummer.

One of the big problems that I had when I made the advertising budget for HP Marketing was seeing where we got the most bang for our bucks. We spent 5% of our sales on advertising and that included the preparation of the ad as well as the placement of the ad. But we had to determine where the ads were the most effective, over the years we tried different methods; we would include a special offer coupon, or we would offer some kind of other incentive and we monitored end users as to where they saw an ad, or read about the product. As a small company in the photo industry we had to place our ads where they did the most for us but magazines have frequency rates. Those rates dictated how often we would advertise as we wanted the most possible exposures to both buyers and subscribers but also to the magazines that had the most pass through to additional readers.

While we were an early supporter of Steve we eventually had to stop advertising there because there just wasn't a high enough readership for the cost per ad and problems with his publication dates. We were also one of the few that exhibited at some of his workshops. But I hate to see another good magazine go.

Quote Originally Posted by brad martin View Post
    Bummer.
    +1 really sorry to hear that!

While we were an early supporter of Steve we eventually had to stop advertising there because there just wasn't a high enough readership for the cost per ad and problems with his publication dates. We were also one of the few that exhibited at some of his workshops. But I hate to see another good magazine go.
    Did you count second, third and later readership per copy?

All my fault!

I didn't renew yet and the notice is hanging on my monitor right in front of me. Now it's in my hand...

Times are tight, I have had to cut some expenses back.

I did buy a lot of back issues from members here and the old issues are very informative. I have a foot of them also at hand.

The last few new issues I got this year were vastly improved over a couple years ago.

Good luck to all paper printing and that includes our silver gelatin paper...
    Tin Can

Jac, second, third, and later readers of magazines are the very definition of 'intangible' for both advertisers and publishers. In English that translates as 'no money coming in from those people who may or may not exist'. And that's how magazines go under.
    I was a subscriber to VC magazine from 1989-2011; had i not lost my job I'd have subscribed to the bitter end. Despite my frustrations with the way it was published. VC showed me many new things; I learned a great deal from reading it, and I will miss it now that it's gone. I have kept all the back issues, unlike almost any other journal to which I have subscribed, and am not tossing them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    [...]The last few new issues I got this year were vastly improved over a couple years ago.
    I gave up when they misspelled Linhof and Deardorff in the same issue, and shortly after that Steve accused me of theft because I had recommended his magazine to our university library, which, of course, allowed multiple readers of one physical issue (and the ads, Mark Sampson). I canceled it.

I wanted to subscribe several years ago but only wanted a digital subscription.

They already produced a digital version but would not let me subscribe to it because I lived in the US.

I'm not surprised they went under. They would not take money for something they already produced. That's not a good business practice.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams