Thread: Elaine Ling -- what camera?

Elaine Ling -- what camera?

She carried a 4x5 all over the world.
    I wonder what camera and lens(s) she used.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Elaine Ling -- what camera?

The link about her ( http://blog.photoeye.com/2016/08/rem...aine-ling.html ) shows a Phillips 4x5
    Vaughn mentioned her using a "Deardorff with Type 55".

Not a bad choice either way(having owned a 5x7 Deardorff, great camera). The Phillips were built to withstand almost anything in the field as well.

Just use what works best for you, even if that's a Calumet CC monorail(which was 'good enough' for Ansel Adams)!

-Dan

Originally a Deardorff Special. I forgot what kind of glass she carried, but one trip she rented a 450mm. She did not use short lenses much.

A color photo of Elaine using her Deardorff in Arizona -- and a 5x7 image of Elaine using that 450mm lens at Joshua Tree National Monument.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails el1.jpg   el2.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I've been so out of it I didn't know she had died. This is just...depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    My Nortons malware blocker just went absolutely nuts when I clicked on that link, warned of 18 threats. In this age of ransomware I'm extremely cautious.

Kent in SD
    I reported it (and possibly others) and the link and post got removed. However it lives on because the link got quoted! Got to love the internet! (ADDED -- good it is gone now, too!)

But back to Elaine...The color image of her was taken with my Rolleiflex and Kodak Portra 160 VC, I believe. I printed the image on Kodak paper (RA4). What is fun is that her blue box of Polaroid Type 55 is sitting on her pack on the ground. Looking at the negative, that blue box is the Kodak yellow! I have always gotten a kick about that...silly me.

I think that when Elaine started to travel off the North American continent, she went to the lighter 4x5. The 5x7 image of Elaine was taken with my Indian knock-off of a Deardorff Special (an original Deardorff 5x7 back fit on it perfectly). Alas, the metal work of her real Deardorff was much finer.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China