Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Very small Darlot Petzval lens

Re: Very small Darlot Petzval lens

The origin of these was the battery of lenses producing 4, 8 or more simultaneous identical images on a single large plate. The contact printed positive was cut-up to provide images for family and friends. These were simple lens without diaphragms and barrel thread mounts - gem lenses.

The next step was a large camera, again with a large plate, but with a single lens. An ingeneous, and often patented, mechanical system moved the plate holder through vertical and horizontal to fill out the plate with lots of variations of the same portrait sitter.

By the way, these tiny lenses did have the locket trade in mind.
    I quote from the Ross Catalogue in CCHarrison's website.

"A Portrait lens producing with the whole aperture pictures of a size for Locket plates 1 1/2 x 1 inch and with the diaphragm size 3 1/4 x 2 3/4 inches. £6.
    A set of WH diaphragms in morocco case for ditto. £1."

Hello,
    Do you think mine could be it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8195.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	243362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8194.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	243363

Chai
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8193.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Duyfam View Post
    I've seen and put my hands on quite a lot of petzval lenses, but I was surprised to see a small lens with fine details of an analog watch. The size of photos from this camera is similar to that from gem camera. I wonder if it was made for photography, as it must be hard to focus with ground glass. I'm curious to see the camera to go with this lens. Btw some details of the lens: serial number is 21726, engraved on the inside of the lens cap and on rank & pinion.

Attachment 153970 Attachment 153971
    A real treasure - good find! Darlot made also comparable tiny achromat landscape lenses for stereo cams; also hard to find. (...and would be nice to build a camera for such a tiny lens)

My Flickr