Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass Companies

Glass Companies

Is there any one purchasing glass - Anti Reflection - I am looking for sources where I can buy direct in volume- any suggestions.

Re: Glass Companies

Edmunds Optics have some standard sizes and will make to order http://www.edmundoptics.com/ look for windows, visual

Bob, do you mean AR framing/glazing glass or coated optical glass? What is the specific application? How big? How thick?

If it's the former, framing shops can often help you get stuff from some of the glazing companies (Tru-Vue, Gro-Glass, Pilkington). If you do enough volume you can probably buy direct. These companies make several types of AR and/or anti-glare glass.

If it's higher end/optical glass you're looking for, there are lots of companies (Edmund, Howard Glass, PGO, Thorlabs etc. etc.) or if it's a big enough order you might be able to order direct from a few of the manufacturers. My own experience is in dealing with Schneider Optics in the U.S.

Drew Wiley

Same here, even in this substantial urban market, we've lost all our picture framing wholesalers. The reason is simple - warehouses are being either leveled or divided up in order to build obscenely overpriced condos or equally expensive techie office space. So I'll have to set up a new account with someone inland, where it seems to still be convenient to drive farmers off their land and pave things over. But yeah, Tru Vue will list their current distributors.

To Clarify- I am trying to avoid local distributors as I have selections to choose from, they put a huge premium on AR glass due to its fragile nature, I am looking for a more direct route to glass manufacturers.

These days Distributors are taking a just in time, or order on demand position, we see this with the photo industry , and I see it with my framing business. If I am being asked to wait 6 weeks
    for a shipment from a Distributor, and this is very common these days, I think this concept is dead and would like to purchase direct and avoid all the handling charges .

If there was good stock available at all times I would feel different . I have so called wholesale accounts with my distributors, but I see them selling direct to anyone with a valid visa card. I think the whole distribution system is in a financial mess.

For example - I can buy from B&H product in two days product, what would take 6 weeks by the Canadian distributor go figure and when all said and done with shipping and customs its the same price within dollars.

Perhaps contact TruVue and see if you can become a distributor? They have a link for such requests on their site.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    To Clarify- I am trying to avoid local distributors as I have selections to choose from, they put a huge premium on AR glass due to its fragile nature, I am looking for a more direct route to glass manufacturers.

These days Distributors are taking a just in time, or order on demand position, we see this with the photo industry , and I see it with my framing business. If I am being asked to wait 6 weeks
    for a shipment from a Distributor, and this is very common these days, I think this concept is dead and would like to purchase direct and avoid all the handling charges .

If there was good stock available at all times I would feel different . I have so called wholesale accounts with my distributors, but I see them selling direct to anyone with a valid visa card. I think the whole distribution system is in a financial mess.

For example - I can buy from B&H product in two days product, what would take 6 weeks by the Canadian distributor go figure and when all said and done with shipping and customs its the same price within dollars.
    Usually being a distributor comes with contractural agreements with the manufacturer. Things like minimum order quantities, possibly by size and type, distribution areas, monthly or quarterly reports, stock level reports, sales reports, advertising in your market, attending shows in the industry, sales and customer service employees or Reps, maintaining desired price points, etc. is this what you are willing to do? Or are you looking for a lower retail price for goods for your own use? You may find that a supplier might be willing to sell in limited quantities for goods for your own use at a reduced price at a certain quantity level but don't be surprised by added packaging and minimum price points and shipping charges. Glass is heavy to shop and requires special packaging and handling to prevent breakage.

Drew Wiley

Not likely, Peter. Distributors differ from frame shops. You're talking about a significant commitment in space, inventory of full cases, product range, and delivery trucks capable of taking care of the needs of frame shops within a hundred mile radius within a day. This means a multimillion-dollar infrastructure of staff and warehousing. And one tiny scratch on a piece of this stuff and its worthless. I am myself a serious supplier of machinery and accessories to the biggest picture framing operations around - themselves considered wholesalers - and they're not about to get behind the eight ball of a fortune in glass, even though they routinely use it. Different business models entirely. You'd also have to carry a massive selection of frame moulding, matboard, etc to get into this kind of gig. Here that's all going inland, not only for cheap land and warehouses, but for cheap labor and, ironically, for the fact that it is often faster to get delivery trucks to urban Bay Area locations from somewhat outside the area than from inside, fighting traffic EVERY direction, basically trapped.

It's worth asking, though. Recently someone here became a distributor for Screen Holdings just to stock up some Cezanne bulbs. I wouldn't have thought that would be possible, but it's a good thing he pursued it!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

But this is directed more to Bob, personally. .. I assume you'd want to buy AN glass or acrylic in full cases, and then cut it yourself? That's the only way to get
    it intact at reasonable expense. I'd estimate the cost here to be around 1/4 of what any glass shop or frame shop, or even web specialty dealer, would ask for
    individual pieces. Optically coated acrylic can be obscenely expensive, AR glass not so bad, consistently flatter, but fragile and much more prone to condensation.
    Ordinary nonglare is cheap and abundant, but inherently hazy.