Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yosemite----The Good,the Bad, and the Priceless

Drew Wiley

Re: Yosemite----The Good,the Bad, and the Priceless

Nope. I'll let my hiking buddy do the web thing with his digi snaps. I've developed my film but didn't do any scans. Hope to print a couple black and white images once the rains return (gotta finish a fence first, while it's still dry weather), but won't print any color work until next Spring, with many other potential color negs taking precedence. There's nothing secret about the primary location. It's just a lot of work getting there. A skilled wrangler could get a horse or mule there, just
    like AA did both in 1924 and twenty years later. He was inspired to do so by a prior photograph by Solomons a generation earlier. Someone's horse didn't make it back out from the season prior to ours, so the coyotes ate well. All of us, it seems, maybe even the coyotes, have set up tripods in almost exactly the same spot. It will be the nuances of lighting, composition, and personal printing which differentiates any of this, not the location per se, though it is wonderful to have a magnificent mountain park completely to oneself (plus my hiking pal, who was generally wandering off upstream or downstream anyway, at the time). Afterwards we hit up places still further off-trail which I've never seen pictures of. Some lovely spots I didn't photograph at all. I just sat there watching the eagles and cooper hawks, or listening to the coyotes, or fiddling around looking for bits of obsidian left over from Indians hunting bighorn. Or just plain tired at
    the end of a long day lugging stuff. I was predicting that in that corner of Yosemite the odds of seeing anyone else would be 50/50, and I was correct. Only one other encounter the first week, and it was a small trail crew preparing to dynamite a particularly steep section of canyon trail to make it easier for horses.

sitting and looking at eagles and other soaring birds sounds like exactly what I need.
    thanks for the report!
    and good luck on that fence!
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Well, you're ahead of me Drew. I haven't developed except maybe a few sheets of film yet from my trip... Keep trying to clean out the darkroom but boy scout stuff keeps getting in the sink...

Got a busy day today... handing out a half dozen Eagle Scout awards...