Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: processes for kids

Old School Wayne

Re: processes for kids

Anthotypes.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    Lumen prints. Limited subjects (flowers, leaves). Can make use of outdated paper. Kids can see the result (in subdued light) without using any chemicals; then supervisor can fix them.

I strongly doubt that cyanotype is sensitive enough to work in a pinhole camera.
    cyanotypes can work in a pinhole camera but it takes hours, not minutes to expose. with a regular lens, a long long time too.
    regular photopaper left in a camera with a lens wide open ( not pinhole ) also records an image
    (retina print ) but it also takes between 40 mins and 12 hours .. the problems with lumen prints and retina prints
    and in camera cyanotypes ( from my own experinece doing workshops with kids ) is there is too much
    standing around time waiting for the long process to end. classic cyanotypes take minutes, and cyanotype photograms
    are a blast to do with kids ( i do them with a local grammar school's art class ) ... just bring a sack or box full of
    junk you can use on the paper or have the kids draw things on acetate and use the clear film as a negative.
    i believe you can buy pre-made stock art stencils from lumi... tailings from "classic" cyanotype from what i was told at "sun print/org " are iron complexes
    and the state of california says it is safe for kids ( i guess they are super strict in cali ).
    and lumi ( inkodye ) paints ( available at art stores or online at their store ) are derrived from cassava root and totally non toxic and a fun photographic process.
    you can print negatives, stencils ( you name it ). it needs to painted on something that can be washed ( like fabric ) and it changes color in the sun and washes,
    they have a whole website full of ideas and stencils ( or you can turn any picture into high contrast and have a xerox machine or printer ( ink or laser )
    turn it into a stencil .. can be done with cyanotypes too ).

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    ...I strongly doubt that cyanotype is sensitive enough to work in a pinhole camera.
    Not suggesting that (but there is a cyanotype process that does have enough speed for in-camera use). To be more precise...pinhole w/ litho film, then cyanotypes.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Not all developers are poisonous. But wearing gloves is a good idea. Seems to me Ed Buffaloe?? On unblinking eye had some articles on less toxic film/paper processing.

I did a pinhole camera class at the Smithsonian in 1977. We used pinhole cameras about cigar box sized and taped 4x5 pieces of printing paper in them. First several classes were on camera making then had classes where we took pictures on the mall and developed them then made contact prints---maybe the contact prints were
    Done by turning room lights on and off, I'm not sure. I've done that with Azo paper and dense negatives in recent times.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/VitC/vitc.html

Patrick Gainer
    Last edited by Fr. Mark; 11-Aug-2016 at 21:30. Reason: Found link I mentioned

Almost any big closet can be a darkroom, as long as you have a portable red lamp. To me, what would be interesting for kids is a simple sliding box camera with a magnifying glass lens.

Predetermine focus for the camera on a particular spot and mark the camera position on a table. Load the back of the box with a 4x5 sheet of photo paper in the "darkroom". Set the camera in place on the table and take an image of the student(s). Back to the closet where you have some developer, stop and fix in trays. Develop the image in from of the kids. Explain negative. Then make a contact print using the closet light. The whole photographic process!

I do a class ,mostly older high school kids(and a few adults). we start out with showing them how to use a film camera (most of them have no idea)we use a K100 for this,next class is film development ,then intro to printing (with photograms) then some printing classes.They have the option to keep going after that to get better at printing.we have been using my darkroom for this. Yup all safety gear is used,gloves and eye ware and ventilators(if needed).the students have been liking it so far,fun to see there face light up when they see there first print appear in the developer.
    I suggest doing a demo so they know what they are getting into and ask them what there goals are,if there are committed then go from there.have fun.

W K Longcor

Quote Originally Posted by Ted R View Post
    Photographic processing chemicals are poisonous, I suggest looking at "instant film" possibilities.
    Isn't it a shame that our world has gotten so fearful. With proper training (adult supervision) why shouldn't children be allowed the joy of watching an image emerge in the developer? I was developing my own prints at age eight. By age ten I developed my own film, too. By age twenty, (ok, not a child by then) I mixed my own solutions from raw chemicals. I am almost 70, and have not poisoned myself yet. Teach a child proper chemical handing methods, and there is nothing to fear, and much to be learned.

Amen to that. Common sense is a much more valuable lesson than abstract fear.

Quote Originally Posted by W K Longcor View Post
    Isn't it a shame that our world has gotten so fearful. With proper training (adult supervision) why shouldn't children be allowed the joy of watching an image emerge in the developer? I was developing my own prints at age eight. By age ten I developed my own film, too. By age twenty, (ok, not a child by then) I mixed my own solutions from raw chemicals. I am almost 70, and have not poisoned myself yet. Teach a child proper chemical handing methods, and there is nothing to fear, and much to be learned.

Indeed, and do the learning with the least harmful chemicals. there are good resources out there to help you decide what to use.
    Learning the hazards and how to eliminate them is a priceless lesson and lifelong skill.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail