Dim, 12 Step programs often make that particular problem worse... Each of my filmholders is labeled by a number and frame (ie, 7A, 7B) with a small Dymo label. I keep a log made in table format by Word on a clipboard, and each sheet has entry lines for six exposures. Most of the repetitive data; film speed/type, f and shutter settings, filters, is already entered as a series of selections. All I have to do is circle the appropriate choice. There is a cell for notes, location by coordinate at the end. This all matches a spreadsheet format for quick data entry later. One day I am thinking about trying to put a small spreadsheet or Access file on my pocket PC and dump the paper altogether.

When processing in a tank, the sheets are loaded in numerical order, and hung to dry in the same sequence. Once dry, I use a Pigma Micron 01 (made by Sakura) disposable archival drafting pen to add a unique sequence number in the corner margin of each shot. This way, I always know what holder and specifics a neg or print has, and can look it up quickly on the spreadsheet. This has helped to eliminate a few faulty holders. For tray development of multiple sheets, I use those cute little self-adhesive mylar "sign here" sort of tabs with the ID number attached to them. They must be cut down, and applied to the base side of the sheet of course, as I have discovered the hard way... The neg is then labeled as described before.