Thread: Burke & James Press 4x5 rotating back- light leaks solved?

Studio Madbird

Burke & James Press 4x5 rotating back- light leaks solved?

So this probably only applies to about 3 people on planet earth who care, but I’ve read here (and elsewhere) about problems with the rotating backs on the 4x5 burke & james press cameras leaking light, but just discovered that of the 3 variants I have, one has a fatter area between the groove (in which the thin ridge of all 4x5 holders fall into) and the outside edge of the camera, so with most modern film holders, their topmost “bump-out” rides up on that, leaving the film open to light leaks. Older holders that are flat from the ridge to the top (where the slide is) or have slightly larger areas before the top bump-out, settle in and work fine, no light leaks.

Anyway, something to be aware of if you happen to use one of these great little press cameras. Hopefully the crudely marked up pic makes it more clear...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A50B35D2-B3C4-4023-A9F3-F8941D394CC3.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	212046

Re: Burke & James Press 4x5 rotating back- light leaks solved?

Thanks for this. I looked at mine and modern film holders seem to seat in place fine, so I guess it doesn't have the "problem" width.

To clarify something, this light leak doesn't have anything to do with the rotating part of the back, yes? I suspect there is a circular channel in the rotating back that would block light from leaking, but I've never figured out how to take it apart to look at the mechanism.

Mine is fine
    Tin Can

Studio Madbird

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    Thanks for this. I looked at mine and modern film holders seem to seat in place fine, so I guess it doesn't have the "problem" width.

To clarify something, this light leak doesn't have anything to do with the rotating part of the back, yes? I suspect there is a circular channel in the rotating back that would block light from leaking, but I've never figured out how to take it apart to look at the mechanism.
    There is a circular lip in the rotating back that rides on (and is held in place by) washers. You can see the lip/channel in one pic, and the insets on the camera's body where the washers would sit. Actually at the bottom right you can see one of the "washers" sitting in its recess. I'm not sure how light could seep past the round lip, unless the back was warped or bent a little, but anything is possible. Unfortunately the only way to detach the rotating panel is by removing the bellows, as the screw heads for the washers are right where the bellows attach.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	212193
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	212194

Thanks for the pictures! Glad to have my curiosity about how it works placated without having to mess things up by taking it apart.

I think if it were bent enough to be the source of light leaks, one would not be able to rotate the back. Poorly seated film holders are pretty common, but especially if they have some incompatibility with the camera back as you showed.