Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood tripod, sticky sliding legs

Foamer

Re: Wood tripod, sticky sliding legs

Looks like it was used outside for years as a stand for a bird feeder, LOL. I would have it refinished and sealed. The lower leg seems to be starting to delaminate.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Have you sent a note with this picture and your question to the contact address found at www.berlebach.de?
    Bob, I have not because I got this tripod well over 20 years ago and use it in any weather. Sometimes it is bound to my SUV roof-rack, and regardless of its appearance, and finally tight legs, it performs very well. Oh, back then the Berlebach was an economy tripod! Berlebach hung in and won. It's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Looks like it was used outside for years as a stand for a bird feeder, LOL. I would have it refinished and sealed. The lower leg seems to be starting to delaminate.
    Bird Feeder! Funny for sure. Thanks for the visual. I don't see delamination. What's to delaminate? It is all natural wood, Ash. Which ash, I do not know, but it's all wood. I like the tripod. How can I not? I know it could last me the rest of my life.

Regarding the remedy, according to the responses paste wax is in order. Thanks to all! I will disassemble one leg at a time, work it properly. LabRat - points well taken. I have started with a straight-edge refinishing blade where appropriate - on straight flat and flat mating surfaces. Good point, thanks.

'one leg at a time' reminds me of a good joke, but I will spare y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Bob, I have not because I got this tripod well over 20 years ago and use it in any weather. Sometimes it is bound to my SUV roof-rack, and regardless of its appearance, and finally tight legs, it performs very well. Oh, back then the Berlebach was an economy tripod! Berlebach hung in and won. It's a good thing.
    They can still advise you on the best way to refinish it. And, should parts be needed after you start fixing it they can also help. They can not fix ones that are more then 30 years old so you are well within their capability to help. In fact, if you bought it new it came with a 10 year warranty so you are not really that far out of warranty. Lastly, they can probably tell you exactly why it is in this condition so you don't run into this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    They can still advise you on the best way to refinish it. [... snip ...] Lastly, they can probably tell you exactly why it is in this condition so you don't run into this again.
    Bob, in twenty years I'll not likely be making photos. At seventy years-old, it is difficult enough to get about with wrecked hands and legs.

However, for other Berlebach owners it is good advice.

You might get some wax paper at the grocers and keep that with you, that's a way to get wax onto something too; rub it against the wood. Also, any bar soap can be used in a pinch. I have a little one from a hotel.

What about beeswax ? It should help quite a bit.
    J. K.

I have a Berlebach wooden tripod. I think they use a lacquer spray coating. By the look of yours I'd suggest a light rub with fine steel wool to remove the old coating and wood fibres, then a wax polish to seal and allow easy sliding. As someone else observed, candle wax is also good, but I think beeswax is possibly better.

THANK YOU ALL! oops. Shouting.

Through the combined recommendations and a push from a non-member I found DOOR-EASE stick lubricant which seems very much like bees-wax as jk0592 suggested. It is a fat stick of yellow wax-like lubricant. I applied it to the contact surfaces of the tripod legs (in 90°F weather) and worked it in. All is good.

Thanks to everyone again,
    Jac Stafford

One last consideration is by using a wax on them, if one decides to refinish the legs, the new finish will be rejected by the waxed area, and is very hard to remove all traces of the wax...

Steve K