Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canham v. Wisner

Canham v. Wisner

Laura, here is my 2 centsworth:

1. Forget about other formats that you may or may not want to use in the future; buy the right 4x5. Specifically, forget the Canham 5x7, focus on his 4x5's.

2. Avoid cameras that have one knob (pair) for both front tilt and front rise; there are many cameras with separate controls, there is no reason to give yourself this grief unless you are going ultra-light, like with a Gowland (2lb. monorail).

3. A camera need not be rock solid to take a perfect exposure, it just needs to be absolutely still. On the other hand, who wants to fuss with a floppy camera? If you want light weight, you either have to sacrifice some rigidity or go with a monorail. Along with Gowland, Toho and Arca-Swiss make monorails intended for use in the field. Floppiness is rarely a problem with extensions of 300mm or less.

4. Any camera will give you enough tilt and swing; the one movement that it is good to have lots of is rise. And for those who have found some use for shift, I guess it would be good to have a lot of that too.

5. When choosing amongst top quality products like the Canhams and Wisners, you are guaranteed an excellent, capable camera, so issues that seem secondary can be given greater weight. How easy is it to setup and tear down? When folded up, how smooth is the exterior, are there sharp corners or knobs that might catch on something when taking it out of the pack? How pretty is it? Do the knobs screw all the way off, such that you may lose them? How good is the carrying handle? Etc.

Canham v. Wisner

This is one of those ford vs chevy, audi vs saab, etc. types of debates. Before buying any camera may I suggest some of the articles on the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

There are also several books that might be helpful

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

Using the View Camera that i wrote for AMPHOTO

If it is convenient for you View Camera magazine is doing a Large Format Photo Conference in Springfield, MA May 20-22. The trade show is free and most of the camera makers and retail selelrs will be there.

The program and info is on our web site as well.

If you do decide on a Wisner buy it from a store that has it in stock. The problems that seem to occur are when people deal directly with the factory.

steve simmons

Canham v. Wisner

I own two Canham cameras (8x10 woodie and 5x7 metal) and have met Keith on several occasions and he is top drawer. The kind of guy that garners trust and in this business, that is a huge thing.

My 5x7 metal camera goes with me with the 4x5 back because it is light and makes great photographs. Every camera has its nuances and simply using it regularly overcomes any unique features it may possess. Although many try to affix a negative to its lower back hinge and some flexibility in this area, I have yet to realize a negative consequence while making a photograph.

Go for it!

Cheers!

Canham v. Wisner

Everyone has given some very good advice and the cameras of their choice. When I decided to enter LF I debated what format as well. I like to enlarge my photos and love an 11x14 print so that meant either a ULF or 4x5 and buy an enlarger. I settled on the 4x5 and bought an enlarger from a retired photographer. It is easier backpacking a 4x5 than a ULF not to mention more afforable. Just because that Canham 5x7 looks great doesn't mean it is the right format for you. I just thought I would add another argument to ponder and philosophize about. Good luck with whatever camera you choose and welcome to the club.

Canham v. Wisner

Hi Laura,

I'm a 4x5 Pocket Expedition shooter and I'm very happy with it. I specifically chose it for its light weight and compact size, as I, like you, was putting together a backcountry backpacking kit. I now have a nice light PE and 3 lens kit for backpacking.

Don't forget that the pack you choose is nearly as important as the camera. My choice of pack allows me to put the camera, lenses, filters, meter, dark cloth, etc. in a detachable day pack and detachable main pack top and range from my campsite with small kit rather than my full pack. If your interested in the kit I've put together, let me know.

Canham v. Wisner

I shoot with an 8x10 pocket expedition.....easy to pack 9.5 lb.....I also just bought an 8x20 expedition....fantastic camera and weighs in at 14 lb.

Canham v. Wisner

One thing not mentioned so far, when using a 5x7 camera for 4x5 film - you will experience less bellows flare, leading to higher contast negatives and transparencies.

Rick

Canham v. Wisner

I have used a range of mostly low end 4x5 cameras and I am now in heaven with my Wisner 4x5 Technical Field. It is light, sturdy, and easy to set up once you get used to it.

Initially, I found the Wisner company a little slow to respond but this has changed, I think, in the last year. I needed some new boards in a hurry, called Mr. Wisner, and got them in a hurry.