Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eversmart Pro and Mac G5 Tower

Eversmart Pro and Mac G5 Tower

I've been having trouble with the old G4 (OS 9.2) that came with my Eversmart Pro scanner, it runs quite slowly ofttimes, which greatly increases scanning time.
    A G5 tower with OS 10.4.2 (Tiger) was available for $100 so I bought it, hoping to use my existing Oxygen software on a newer, more powerful computer.
    I'm currently running Oxygen 3.1.0 on the G4.

Right away, the first thing is to get a SCSI/FW adapter, as the G5 uses Firewire.
    Is there anything else I need to know, or do?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Eversmart Pro and Mac G5 Tower

Ari, I think I've got a Ratoc scsi firewire adapter in the basement. I'll have a look. I gave up on it and put a scsi card in my G5 for the Howtek. You may also want to go that route. Oh, also, Aztek sells the scsi USB adapter, which works nicely on my modern PC.

Re: Eversmart Pro & Mac G5 Tower

Cheers, Christopher; thank you.
    You're right, I may end up installing the SCSI card in the G5, it'd be nice to have that FW, though.
    I'll also have a look at Aztek's site for the USB adapter, that sounds interesting, too.
    Do you, or does anyone else, know if the USB/SCSI adapter would work as well as the Firewire adapter on a Mac? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    Thank you.

Ari,

Your Eversmart Pro does not run with Oxygen software, but with the Eversmart Scanning application 3.1. This software will only run on MAC OS 9.2.2, not with OS X.

You may be able to run OS 9.2 with your G5 tower, but the processing speed will still be limited by the ***286 processor on the Eversmart Pro board. In short, any G4 tower with processor speed of 450 MHz or faster will scan as fast as possible.

You could perhaps upgrade your Evermsmart Pro to Pro II status, which would allow you to use Oxygen software with MAC OS X. But until you do, you are stuck with OS 9.2.2.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I've been having trouble with the old G4 (OS 9.2) that came with my Eversmart Pro scanner, it runs quite slowly ofttimes, which greatly increases scanning time.
    A G5 tower with OS 10.4.2 (Tiger) was available for $100 so I bought it, hoping to use my existing Oxygen software on a newer, more powerful computer.
    I'm currently running Oxygen 3.1.0 on the G4.

Right away, the first thing is to get a SCSI/FW adapter, as the G5 uses Firewire.
    Is there anything else I need to know, or do?

Thanks in advance.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Hi Sandy,
    I was afraid of this sort of post; I had consulted the chart, attached below, but failed to account for the ES Pro board.
    I thought it would be only software-dependent, figuring I'd be ok with Oxygen 3.1.0
    Thanks for the information, I'm going to contact Michael Streeter at Genesis to get an idea of the cost of the upgrade.

Oxygen-MacOS_compatibility Sheet1

Ari, is your ram maxed out? I use a G4 Sawtooth to run my Cezanne. Increasing the memory made a huge difference with scanning speed.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'll check, Peter but I think yes, it's maxed out. Not sure which G4 I have, though.
    The problem with my G4 is the previous owner had so much extraneous stuff on the computer, that's what's slowing it down.
    I hesitate to clean up the computer for fear of removing something important (scanner-related), and not having a back-up (the G5 was going to be that back-up).

You could throw in a new drive and build a system around that. Maybe then you can get it running better without impacting your existing system.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    You could throw in a new drive and build a system around that. Maybe then you can get it running better without impacting your existing system.
    Looks like that's the way to go, thanks Christopher.
    Here's the message from Michael at Genesis, Sandy was bang-on:

The Pro scanner connects via SCSI. It does not utilize USB. An Eversmart Pro scanner is limited to running Eversmart Scanning Solutions 3.x on a Mac with SCSI support with OS 9.2.x. There is an option to upgrade the Pro to a Pro II, which will allow you to use a SCSI to FireWire converter. This upgrade will also allow you to connect to a PPC or Intel based Mac running OSX 10.5.x or OSX 10.6.x. The software will be the latest version of Oxygen Scan.

The cost of the upgrade is $2,500.00 + freight. The upgrade includes the part(s) to convert the scanner from a Pro to a Pro II, the FireWire kit and the latest version of Oxygen Scan software. Not all Pro scanners can be upgraded from a Pro to a Pro II. I will need the serial number of the scanner to determine if it is possible.

The Pro II upgrade with newest software on an Intel Mac will increase the throughput speed around 50% over a Pro running on an older Mac with OS 9.2.

My serial number indicates that my scanner cannot be upgraded to a Pro II.

Anyone need a G5 tower? Runs good.

Perhaps use an ssd drive from other world computing for you system drve.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know