Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Macro lens...?

Re: Macro lens...?

Greg, I recommended Comparons over Componons because according to Schneider Comparons are better from 2x to 6x than the equivalent jes' plain Componons. That's taking at 1:2 to 1:6. I don't know whether this is true for Componon-Ss.

I saw this lens, is it good then?

Schneider-Kreuznach Comparon F1:5.6 150 MM Enlarger lens

3 lenses of Comparon, 105, 135, and 150

I have and have tried out 105/4.5 and 150/5.6 Comparons. Both have cells that are direct fits in a #0 shutter. In fact, I've bought several 105s in #0s. The sellers thought they were selling lenses, I thought I was buying shutters.

I shoot 2x3, the 105 is fine for that format but the 150 is better for 4x5.

The 135/4.5 Comparon has cells that are direct fits in a #1 shutter. Fine as long as you're going to shoot no larger than 1:1, in which case you won't need to reverse the lens. Problematic if you're going to work above 1:1.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I have and have tried out 105/4.5 and 150/5.6 Comparons. Both have cells that are direct fits in a #0 shutter. In fact, I've bought several 105s in #0s. The sellers thought they were selling lenses, I thought I was buying shutters.

I shoot 2x3, the 105 is fine for that format but the 150 is better for 4x5.

The 135/4.5 Comparon has cells that are direct fits in a #1 shutter. Fine as long as you're going to shoot no larger than 1:1, in which case you won't need to reverse the lens. Problematic if you're going to work above 1:1.
    Well, i can't decide if i will work only for 1:1 and lower, anytime in the future i may decide or plan to go above 1:1 then i have to think about another lens maybe and then to wait to find it and wait to order and be shipped to me.

Until now i still think if i should check one of members recommended me here or wait more, i have time to decide and to order, and i am worried if i wait longer it will lead me to more options here and maybe some lenses i look for will be vanished anywhere even for used ones.

I just looked at the biggest auction site and there were numerous suitable macro lenses listed. A few names to look for include Macro-nikkor 19, 35, 80, and 120mm, Canon Macrophoto bellows lens 20, 50, 80, 135mm, Olympus macro-bellows lens, Zeiss luminar, leica (Leitz) Photar, Novoflex Novoflexar and many others. There lenses are designed to work at a specific reproductive range, however they will work on formats from 35mm to 4x5 as long as there is sufficient bellows extension. Here is a link to a macro lens database that is informative and quite complete http://www.macrolenses.de
    Last edited by MBuchmeier; 27-Jul-2016 at 16:50. Reason: auto correct demons.

Quote Originally Posted by MBuchmeier View Post
    I just looked at the biggest auction site and there were numerous suitable macro lenses listed. A few names to look for include Macro-nikkor 19, 35, 80, and 120mm, Canon Macrophoto bellows lens 20, 50, 80, 135mm, Olympus macro-bellows lens, Zeiss luminary, leica (Leitz) Photar, Novoflex Noflexar and many others. There lenses are designed to work at a specific reproductive range, however they will work on formats from 35mm to 4x5 as long as there is sufficient bellows extension. Here is a link to a macro lens database that is informative and quite complete http://www.macrolenses.de
    It's Zeiss Luminar, not luminary. Novoflexar is a Novoflex. But you also left out some very famous 39mm Leica SM lenses for macro like the Schneider M-Componon series and the Rodenstock Apo Rodagon D series. Additionally, some of the lenses that you did mention can not fit into a 0 size shutter without adapters that are near impossible to find today.

Thank you for that, I battle constantly with the spell checker. If I type luminar and don't watch carefully, luminary results. Similarly, Dagor becomes Dagger, and so on.
    If your look at the list I referenced there are hundreds of macro lenses by dozens of manufacturers, I did not intend my brief post to be an inclusive dissertation.
    As for adapters, an RMS adapter will take care of the ones with microscope threads, for others I have had adapters fabricated by a machinist at the University where I work. Usually one adapter
    will work for many lenses. The Macro-Nikkor series for example uses only two adapters, RMS for the 19 and 35mm, and M39 screw mount (enlarger lens thread) for the 80 and 120. I had an adapter machined that will screw into a #3 shutter and
    holds an adapter with 39mm threads and an RMS adapter that screws into the 39mm screw. The main take home point is that these lenses will work across formats, not just for a single format.

I really like my Nikon 120 f5.6 ED Macro, a large format lens, designed from their macro-photo lenses. As with the Macro Sironar it is easy to get to 1:1. I photographed a lot of medical instruments with it, one was pen sized tip was 1mm across. The folks who did the enlargement couldn't believe how sharp it was. Nice thing about using a 4x5 for macro is the swings and tilt, helps a lot with DOF.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MBuchmeier View Post
    Thank you for that, I battle constantly with the spell checker. If I type luminar and don't watch carefully, luminary results. Similarly, Dagor becomes Dagger, and so on.
    If your look at the list I referenced there are hundreds of macro lenses by dozens of manufacturers, I did not intend my brief post to be an inclusive dissertation.
    As for adapters, an RMS adapter will take care of the ones with microscope threads, for others I have had adapters fabricated by a machinist at the University where I work. Usually one adapter
    will work for many lenses. The Macro-Nikkor series for example uses only two adapters, RMS for the 19 and 35mm, and M39 screw mount (enlarger lens thread) for the 80 and 120. I had an adapter machined that will screw into a #3 shutter and
    holds an adapter with 39mm threads and an RMS adapter that screws into the 39mm screw. The main take home point is that these lenses will work across formats, not just for a single format.
    Hmm. Your recommendations are very interesting. They're all for work at magnifications greater that 1:1. They're also all somewhat expensive. The OP's indicated fairly clearly that he wants to shoot at magnifications lower than 1:1 and that he's not rich.

Re shutters and all that, well female RMS thread-to-#0 or #1 adapters are fairly easily found.

In case you wonder, I have 25, 40 and 63 Luminars, 50 and 100 Neupolars, have had 45 and 90 Mikrotars and 15 and 100 Luminars. I'm slightly acquainted with gear needed for shooting above 1:1.

One of the things that I hate about this forum and APUG is posters' propensity to ignore questions as asked and simply recommend what they know and like instead of what's suitable for the person who asked in the first place. Its very easy to tell other people how to spend their money, much harder to listen to them and understand what they're asking.

Another thing I hate is our tendency to give incomplete answers to questions that want a book length response. Thinking of which, OP, if you want to learn about the gear and techniques you should buy a few books. Lester Lefkowitz' The Manual of Closeup Photography is available at reasonable prices from vendors who advertise through alibris.com, abebooks.com, amazon.com. Brian Bracegirdle's little book Scientific Photomacrography covers the same subjects, is drier. It is #31 in the RMS' Microscopy Handbooks series.

Bob, although the Apo-Rodagon Ds are superb lens their recommended ranges of magnifications are quite small. Suggesting them to a neophyte who doesn't really know what he wants to do seems unkind.