Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using a press camera

Re: Using a press camera

Mario, just go shoot.

I own a Crown Graphic myself and I love the silly thing now. But it was certainly awkward and a handful when I first started using it. But, after awhile, you begin to get used to it and pretty soon you are firing away.

The only recommendation I would make beyond using it a lot is to go buy a couple Grafmatic sheet holders. They will give you six photos without requiring you to pull the sheet film holder and flipping it. They also have a bit of a learning curve associated with them but, again, once you have used them a few times you will get very comfortable.

BTW - If you do have the flash attachment then go buy a few flashbulbs and try it the Weegee Way. You will understand pretty quickly why this camera was so popular with the press boys and girls. Go take photos of a kid's soccer game from the sidelines and you will quickly figure out why they liked the flash so much.

EDIT- You will also be very popular with the kids playing soccer and they will quickly start trying to show you their best and wildest moves.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    The only recommendation I would make beyond using it a lot is to go buy a couple Grafmatic sheet holders.
    Excuse please my ignorance, but are sheet film holders and the appropriate films still available? Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Excuse please my ignorance, but are sheet film holders and the appropriate films still available? Thank you in advance.
    Sure. Grafmatics use standard 4x5 sheet film. Inside the grafmatic holder are six sheet metal septums that hold the film. You slide the film into the septum and then place the septums inside the Grafmatic. I am pretty sure the butkus has instructions on his website and there is also good info at Graflex.org.

This url will give you the information. https://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/grafmatic/

Enjoy
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Do not compare your hand helds to the crowds of press photogs from the old days. They used big, bright flashbulbs even in daylight, zone focusing and film packs rather than sheet film holders. And the flash unit was a good right hand handle. I use three different 4x5 press cameras with rangefinders and they are a b*tch especially if you do not have good grips.

Add to that the fact that the negatives were rarely enlarged and you can see how faults were not readily apparent.

Do you have a good left hand strap? How about something to hold onto on the right side? No need to get a classic bulb flash holder for that. The clamps that attach to the right side will do to hold a stout wooden dowel instead.

Does this help a little?

EDIT: There were a couple books showing Graflex practice. I might still have them. Will check when I get home later.
    Ahhhh Jac, you bring up some pleasant memories. When I became the school yearbook editor, our only camera was a SG using film packs. Those dang packs were so fast and easy to use, whether I was shooting a sporting event or a dance. Using those huge press 22 bulbs was also fun, but just not quite as fast.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

If you want/need a book, the best one for your question is Lester & Morgan's Graflex Graphic Handbook... as Jac has already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    If you want/need a book, the best one for your question is Lester & Morgan's Graflex Graphic Handbook... as Jac has already mentioned.
    Using the search for "Lester Morgan Graflex Graphic Handbook" on the auction site should bring up over ten for sale, most at very reasonable prices. The book has chapters for many specialties. It's pretty darn cool, and spot-on for the camera.

Consider adding a Linhof grip in place of the leather strap handle. Makes for an excellent way to shoot it handheld. I have those grips on most of my handheld 4x5 stuff, including on 2 speed graphics and a crown graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Consider adding a Linhof grip in place of the leather strap handle. Makes for an excellent way to shoot it handheld. I have those grips on most of my handheld 4x5 stuff, including on 2 speed graphics and a crown graphic.
    Good point. Unfortunately most Linhof grips do not include the camera mounting plate. (I say 'most' because an exception is the left and right hand grip for their aerial camera which mounts directly using one bolt, but it cannot slide off for storage.)

I bring this up hoping someone comes up with a clever alternative. Anyone?

you can mount them directly without the mounting plate, but really only should when there is no other way. It's pretty nice to have the mounting plate, but even drilling and mounting the handle directly works fine as long as you don't need to take it off. I wish the right-hand ones were more common, but at least the left-hand ones are not too hard to find.

Do not compare your hand helds to the crowds of press photogs from the old days. They used big, bright flashbulbs even in daylight...,
    Say more about this. AuditorOne said something similar in post #11 (or at least that's what I understood by it).

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    BTW - If you do have the flash attachment then go buy a few flashbulbs and try it the Weegee Way. You will understand pretty quickly why this camera was so popular with the press boys and girls. Go take photos of a kid's soccer game from the sidelines and you will quickly figure out why they liked the flash so much.

...zone focusing...
    I can do this too.

...and film packs rather than sheet film holders.
    Just got myself my first (of more to come) grafmatic holder. The goal is to get me about 5 of these. So, if any of you have any for sale, let's talk.

Also, I'm wondering, and forgive my ignorance about this, is there such a thing as an "auto focusing" setting where you just leave it "there" (whatever that is) and just go about framing and shooting and not worry about focusing? Is this how they used it back in the day or did they still focused?

Thanks.
    --Mario